Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

440/540 Install Checklist (help needed)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 440/540 Install Checklist (help needed)
    Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 1:15am
I am planning to install the following equipment: 440/540, AXP340, AMX240, Mid Continent MD200-306 and MLB100. I have the following legacy equipment that is staying: Sandel 3308, Artex G406-4 ELT with ELT/NAV interface, Shadin DigiFlow and STEC 60-2 with GPSS. I am hoping that some of the folks that have installed 440/540s already can help me generate a post installation checklist to make sure the integration is working properly. For example, I saw something on the forum about a way to test the ADS-B out function of the AXP340. When I get a comprehensive list compiled I will share it on the forum so that others can maybe make use of it. 

Here's what I have so far:

1 GDL 69A weather Ensure GDL69 weather, winds, TFRs, METARS, etc. show up on 540.
2 Sandel Ensure 2nd bearing pointer (yellow pointer) is tied to 440 VOR. Ensure WAAS glideslope works with 540. Ensure that turrning the OBS knob on the Sandel moves the course line on the 540 when in OBS mode.
3 MLB100 Ensure traffic form MLB100 shows up on 440.
4 STEC 60-2/GPSS Ensure that GPSS system works properly when navingating from 540. Ensure that encoder informaiton getting to alt preselect box. 
5 ELT Ensure that position signal is getting to the 406 MHz ELT. Verify using http://www.406test.com
6 ADS-B output test Verify ADS-B output signal is working (how?)
7 Shadin DigiFlow Ensure shadin FF totalizer is getting GPS data (remainging fuel at dest., fuel to dest., etc.)
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:25am
You might want to check support for the MD200-306. Even though it is the same device as the Garmin GI-106A, I believe that Steve confirmed the MD200-306 is not on the STC supported interface list. Be sure you buy the Garmin unit to avoid approval issues.

Vince
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 6:46am
I believe traffic from the MLB100 will not show up on the 440/540 until a further software release.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 9:56am

I used the MD200-306 for my installation.  I saw nothing in the documentation that indicated it was not approved for use.

It is very slightly different from the GA-106A.  The difference is that the VLOC mode (pin 1 of P1001) has to be connected to pin 24 on the CDI (not pin 18 as shown in the manual).

That was the ONLY documentation error I found during my installation.  I was impressed at how correct the data was.

When the IFD is in VLOC mode, the CDI annunciates "NAV".

When the IFD is in GPS mode, the CDI annunciates "GPS".

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 11:25am
MD200-306 inclusion in STC data was added as part of 10.1 updates this past spring.  Install Manual Rev 04 that was released in April 2015 has the official support for it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 11:25am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I believe traffic from the MLB100 will not show up on the 440/540 until a further software release.

Correct.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:18pm
Make sure the dealer runs the "squat switch" wire between the Avidyne GPS and the 340 to trigger air/ground switching.

ADS-B out can be tested using a portable receiver such as a Stratus with Foreflight, or you can email the FAA as described here.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I am planning to install the following equipment: 440/540, AXP340, AMX240, Mid Continent MD200-306 and MLB100. I have the following legacy equipment that is staying: Sandel 3308, Artex G406-4 ELT with ELT/NAV interface, Shadin DigiFlow and STEC 60-2 with GPSS. I am hoping that some of the folks that have installed 440/540s already can help me generate a post installation checklist to make sure the integration is working properly. For example, I saw something on the forum about a way to test the ADS-B out function of the AXP340. When I get a comprehensive list compiled I will share it on the forum so that others can maybe make use of it. 

Here's what I have so far:

1 GDL 69A weather Ensure GDL69 weather, winds, TFRs, METARS, etc. show up on 540.
2 Sandel Ensure 2nd bearing pointer (yellow pointer) is tied to 440 VOR. Ensure WAAS glideslope works with 540. Ensure that turrning the OBS knob on the Sandel moves the course line on the 540 when in OBS mode.
3 MLB100 Ensure traffic form MLB100 shows up on 440.
4 STEC 60-2/GPSS Ensure that GPSS system works properly when navingating from 540. Ensure that encoder informaiton getting to alt preselect box. 
5 ELT Ensure that position signal is getting to the 406 MHz ELT. Verify using http://www.406test.com
6 ADS-B output test Verify ADS-B output signal is working (how?)
7 Shadin DigiFlow Ensure shadin FF totalizer is getting GPS data (remainging fuel at dest., fuel to dest., etc.)

1.  All you need to do is go to the Datalink Status page (AUX page, SYS tab, press the "Select" LSK until "Datalink" is displayed) and verify the Radio ID displays, the Signal Quality is Strong or Very Strong and the Service Level is what you've subscribed to.

2.  Sounds good to me.

3.  Traffic not available yet.

4.  Sounds right to me.

5.  Ok.

6.  The AXP340 will present an alert message if it isn't working for ADS-B.  But, you can also have the installer send an email looking for validation to 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov

7.  Also verify that the IFD FMS tab shows fuels at each waypoint for proper two-way comm flow.

And from Section 2.2 of the IFD Installation Manual:

2.2    Optional Installation Features

This section summarizes optional features that may require extra wiring.

Feature

Description

Reference Section for Installation Details

Audio Panel Aurals

Allows IFD5XX/4XX produced aural alerts (e.g. FLTA terrain alerts, Top of Descent alerts, 500’ callouts, etc) to be heard in the headsets.

Section 6.11.1

Transponder Support

Allows IFD5XX/4XX GPS position transmission to the transponder for ADS-B operation and IFD5XX/4XX Air/Ground output to the transponder for automatic Ground-Alt transition.

Section 6.12

Com Presets

Enables external command (e.g. yoke-mounted button) to select frequencies in the com preset list to be loaded into the #1 Standby com slot.

Section 6.1.10.4

Com Frequency Active-Standby Swap

Enables external command (e.g. yoke-mounted button) to swap the Active and #1 Standby com frequencies.

Section 6.1.10.4

Nav Frequency Active-Standby Swap

Enables external command (e.g. yoke-mounted button) to swap the Active and #1 Standby nav frequencies.

Section 6.1.10.4

Synchro Heading Input

Allows the IFD5XX/4XX to take heading data in via synchro protocol.

Section 6.1.6

Standby Com Monitor

Allows the com frequency in the #1 standby slot to be heard in the headsets when installed with a compatible audio panel (e.g. Avidyne AMX240).

Section 6.1.10.5

Wifi/Bluetooth

Allows the connection of portable electronic equipment to the IFD5XX/4XX.

Reference Avidyne Document 600-00299-100 and/or IFD5XX/4XX Pilot Guide

Table 26: Optional Installation Features

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 4:30pm

I am getting ready to install a 540, AXP340 and MLB100, replacing my 530W and 330 transponder, along with my King KN-62 DME.

I also have a 430W that will remain in the aircraft.  Can the ADS-B data from the MLB-100 be wired to both the 540 and 430, and will it display on both?  (I understand that traffic is not yet available on the 540).

I am interfacing the 540 to the 430, a Century 1000 A/P and Century GPSS, a King 55A HSI and an Argus 5000 CE map display.

My other questions:

• Other than the lack of transfer of flight plans, will the 540 and 430 play nicely together?
  • Any issues with Century GPSS roll steering connectivity?
  • The Argus worked with the Garmin, any known issues with the 540?
  • Is there anything else I should be cautious about?  I have studied both the iPad and Windows simulators and other than some confusion with transferring from GPS to VLOC, they have provided good guidance.

Thank you for providing an excellent forum for discussion of issues like this.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 5:04pm
Congratulations on, and thank you for the purchase.

As for MLB100 ADS-B weather data displaying on the Garmin 430, that is not something we can vouch for at this time.  The MLB100 IM does list the supported displays for its data and the Garmin units are not (yet) on that list.  That may change in the future, it may not.

As for 540 and 430 playing together nicely, the answer is no.  They are not on speaking terms.  Said differently, they can't be wired up over Com3 and share any data.  In fact, connecting the two over Com3 will have meaningfully adverse affects on the IFD540.

Century GPSS roll steering should work just fine presuming it is a AK 1081 GPSS Converter.  That we tested and have as part of our STC and IM data.

No known issues with the Argus.  We tested that and found the Argus 3000, 5000, 7000 to be just fine.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Congratulations on, and thank you for the purchase.

.....As for 540 and 430 playing together nicely, the answer is no.  They are not on speaking terms.  Said differently, they can't be wired up over Com3 and share any data.  In fact, connecting the two over Com3 will have meaningfully adverse affects on the IFD540.....

I looked very carefully at your reply, and then I spent some time with the Flight Guide.  Meanwhile I had been using the iPad simulator for several weeks.  Now, I downloaded the PC Simulator and ran both the 540 and 440 sims simultaneously for a full day.

I am now a believer.

After looking carefully at the way the units work together and the issues which I would have to deal with if I kept the 430 as the #2 unit:

• different operating methods
  • different databases
  • no intercommunications of data
  • And, of course, the user-unfriendly G***n software in the remaining unit, which was a main reason for going to the 540 in the first place.

I called the shop, where my plane (a Cessna 182RG) goes in Monday for the 530W -> 540 replacement, and we discussed replacing the 430W with the 440.  It will be done. 

I am sorry I won't be at Oshkosh to meet the gang and see the goodies, but I have sent some friends your way.  Have a good time!

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 2:05pm
Awesome news!
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic