Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Map Orientation Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmauro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Map Orientation Problems
    Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 2:58am
Our IFD540 map refuses to change orientation (remains in track mode) when the lower right hand side knob is pushed in as stated in the user manual.  Any suggestions?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 6:27am
Do you mean the push action of the knob is completely non-responsive (won't even change from forward view to center view) or you just can't get it to toggle from track to heading orientation?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 8:06am
I am sure you have thought of this, but be sure that you are looking at the map on the MAP page, and not on the preview map on the FMS page.

Regards,

Bob Siegfried, II
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
rmauro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmauro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 12:06pm
Sorry.  I can switch between "track 360" and "track 240."  I can't get it into "North up" mode.  Thoughts?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 1:45pm
That sounds strange.

Here's one thing to check:  Until you get GPS lock, the only mode you should be able to get is North Up.  So, right after startup and before you get GPS position lock, what orientation does your map show you to be in?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:38pm
I've got a strange orientation problem. Last weekend on a checkout flight with my friend's new IFD540 we set a course of 075 and pressed the right knob so that TRK was displayed beside the course at the top. However the display did not switch to track up. It stayed in North up. What am I missing?
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:55pm
You are confusing two different settings, comes up very often here.

You can have the 540 be in track mode or heading mode for display. This is selected in the map settings.

In addition you can select either north up, heading/track up, or 240 deg heading/track up. This is selected by clicking the right knob in.

Before there is a gps lock, you can only see north up.

* Orest
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:04pm
Thanks, Orest. I guess I was unclear. We are in track mode vs heading because we have no aspen for heading input. That's ok. But even though we press the right knob while we are in flight, it won't cycle between north up, track up and track 240. It stays on north up. We have gps lock I believe, so we were expecting it to cycle through. It did not. Did I miss something else?
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:08pm
Ah, OK.

The click of the right knob will only toggle the map display mode when on the MAP page, vice the FMS page. Is that it?

* Orest
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:24pm
I thought that was it but I went back to look at a photo I took and we were on the web page. It is very puzzling because it even works on the sim. He is getting a second 540 next week and I am in the middle of my install so we will have two more samples to test. I am hoping it's not a hardware defect. The knob feels very solid and high quality.   I'll post an update.
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:05am
I don't believe there is any indication on the unit as to the map orientation mode, beyond the position of the map itself. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic