Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TAS600 Systems and ADS-B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OK, nearly end of summer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:21pm
I had to look back, I started this thread in summer 2015, at which point the TAS-A was overdue.

Ahem, people, it is now almost summer 2018, essentially three years overdue beyond the already overdue point.

And yet, no news, sound of crickets.

Is it time to declare this project MIA or should we hold a wake?

Edited by ddgates - 21 May 2018 at 2:22pm
David Gates
Timothy Nathan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:46pm
I think there comes a time when we have to accept that we have been cheated and move on.

There was almost no-one on the Avidyne booth at Aero Friedrichshafen, whereas the Garmin stand was packed, so the message is getting out, at least in Europe.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:58am
If that is true, then product refunds are in order, i.e. project being dead.

Looking back at posts - messaging was "software several months away" - that was Jan 2016.

I guess several means >28?
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:05am
But what product refund is in order?  The only thing that is going to "make things better" is if Avidyne paid for ADS-B In to be installed in my aircraft.  Anything less than that is not a rectification.
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 10:47pm
I am at Oshkosh and I was told by an Avidyne representative that the /A has finally been certified! When can we see an official announcement and a plan to fulfill all the IOUs that are out there?
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:57pm
They have been saying for some time the -A hardware is certified, but the firmware is/was not done.

Are they now saying the software is done?
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:16am
I would guess, from the fact that Avidyne are making no comment, is that the software is still not available, otherwise they would be all over us offering to rectify what is now a running sore that has been ongoing for over four years.

I would be very surprised if we ever see this software.  Avidyne are relying on us forgiving and forgetting.  

I am certainly not doing that, and the anti-Avidyne vibe is now going to appear in the next edition of The PBN Manual, the standard PBN text book in Europe, of which I am co-author.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 12:53pm
I have given up engaging on this.  Not much more to be said that hasn’t already been said in the 5+ years the -A deliverable is in arrears.

I think the devices they design and build themselves (notably the IFD series) are great products.  Those they have either bought or rebadged (TAS series, Skytrax) are failures on many levels.

I would caution anyone acquiring avionics upgrades to consider the WYSWYG approach; don’t buy anything on the basis of what is promised, only on the basis of what they deliver now.

Many missed opportunities.
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:47pm
Well , I was wrong.

Just got notice from FAA approval and STC for TAS-A was granted last week!

Let the frenzy begin!!

Good for you Avidyne!!!
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 6:09pm
Does that mean that the ADS-B in facility is now available in software?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 7:04pm
yes
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 11:47am
It seems that EASA has also certified it (that was quick!) and Avidyne UK are looking into shipping me a unit, so that line that we all want drawn may finally be on the horizon 
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:06pm
sat with my avionics tech last night and started to look at the -A update install instructions. We’re doing a bunch of panel work so we agreed to finish testing everything else to keep from being confused. However the software is available to your techs. Thank you Avidyne. 
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:07pm
For those that need the hardware upgrade, what is the procedure?

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:21am
OK, so I called Tech support, and yes, the hardware upgrade by RMA is now available, dealer needs to initiate it.

I have the "free" upgrade certificate (605 -> 605A), got it with the TAS605 purchase way back. They had trouble finding me in the database, not sure what that was about, but hopefully that gets sorted out.

Called my dealer, and they are starting the process.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Aug 2018 at 10:22am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

They had trouble finding me in the database, not sure what that was about, but hopefully that gets sorted out.

Do you have the voucher?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Timothy Nathan Timothy Nathan wrote:

[...
Do you have the voucher?

Yes, I do. Kept it "safe" all these years. ;)

* Orest

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:27am
Yeah.  I am sending mine to The British Museum Ancient History Department for carbon dating and authentication ;-)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Called my dealer, and they are starting the process.
All sorted out.   

My unit is being pulled, and going in this week for the hardware/firmware upgrade.

* Orest
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 10:23am
Avidyne:  it might be useful for owners to be advised regarding expected turn time for TAS units sent in for -A conversion.  Such information will help decision making in planning for the upgrade.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 5:53pm
Avidyne told my shop to expect 10 to 15 days, plus shipping time.

My TAS605 was sent in a week or so ago, I'll let you know how long it takes. I feel a little "threatened" flying around right now. ;)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Sep 2018 at 5:54pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:38am
Ok - now the technical questions start.
For the -A reinstall the party line has been that a new IFD-TAS connection is required.  The IFD IM shows a RS-232 port 2 connection (pin 58).
My config has fuel data on port 2, and the TAS (non -A) on channel  4.  I don’t know if the IFD to TAS channel  4 pinout (pin 54) is wired and will find out at reinstall.

Is this the connection we are talking about?  What is the config setting descriptor to be selected if it is?

Want  to get it right the first time.

Edited by ddgates - 09 Sep 2018 at 10:39am
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic