Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

radial or localizer intercept on FMS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: radial or localizer intercept on FMS
    Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:13am
If this is something that you fly on a regular basis you can create a user waypoint where the 270 radial crosses the localizer for RWY 25.   In the FMS select the RNAV 25 from the POWUP IAF and you will see that WELLZ is on the course from the user waypoint to RWY 25. When you get to the user waypoint, select direct to WELLZ.

So your FMS entry will be as follows

BLH v16 PSP v388 PDZ WP001 POWUP WELLZ ZANIR RWY25 KHHR

The user waypoint is about 33.98N/118.07W or PDZ 12DME on 270 radial

A Localizer signal is good to 25nm and it looks like the LOC / PDZ 270 radial intersects at 26+ NM.

Edit: another thought...
Another way is to load the RNAV 25 procedure (or LOC 25, the IAF and IFs are the same) once you get to the PDZ VOR activate the leg between POWUP and WELLZ, adjust your course to 253, and put your heading bug on 270 and simply fly that heading until the course needle centers. I think this is how I would do it.

Edited by Gring - 02 Aug 2015 at 10:48am
comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 10:15pm
Using the 540 in the real world, which is awesome BTW, gets me thinking about things I never thought possible.  So this may be a new feature request, but I wanted to run by Steve, Orest and others in case it's already doable.

Here is a typical clearance we get into Hawthorne out in SoCal.  I encountered it last week inbound from Santa Fe.

BLH v16 PSP v388 PDZ depart PDZ on the 270 radial and intercept the KHHR Localizer

There is no intersection at the localizer/radial crossing, so no conventional way to populate a GPS. (incidentally, TRACON says their expectation is that you shoot the localizer if you go NORDO, even though you aren't at the IAF)

I imagined an option under "Hold" when you select the VOR in the FMS.  Something like a FROM Crs.  If that was followed by a Vectors to Final for the approach(or a TO Crs option on an enroute VOR), it would make up.  

If you enter the above clearance on the SIM along with the VTF for the approach, you can see the missing segment as a gap in the route.

Is there a method to enter the balance of the clearance?  I played with it in the air and on the sim, can't figure it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic