Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FLTA vs TAWS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLTA vs TAWS?
    Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:54pm
I have two IFD440s on order, and hopefully one day someone will tell me when I might get them. In the meantime I'm thinking about what to do when they are installed wrt TAWS. I currently have the Honeywell KGP560 EGPWS in my Cirrus, which is a certified TAWS system. I understand that the IFD440 does not have a TAWS option but does have FLTA. What I don't know is what the differences are.

The Honeywell system has some shortcomings from my point of view, in particular the inability to tell it about airfields not it its database. Consequently every time I land at my airstrip I have to disable it - then remember to re-enable after takeoff. There are other locations I fly to with the same issue, and it's very disconcerting to get a "PULL UP!" call on final. The 440 apparently has the ability to enter user-defined waypoints in a manner that automatically suppresses the callouts within a radius.

So, my question is, if I were to remove the KGP560 TAWS and enable the 440's FLTA, what would I lose (other than a few pounds?)
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:08am
The 440 does not have terrain awareness, only the 540 does.  
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 9:26am
Both the 440 and 540 have full TA and FLTA  and 500' call out capability.

There are 4 differences between the IFD FLTA and a KGP560 EGPWS:

1.  KGP560 is a certified TAWS system, the current version of the IFD (Release 10.1.0.0) is not a certified TAWS;
2.  The non-TAWS version of the IFD does not have Premature Descent Alarm (PDA) feature that a certified TAWS does.
3.  The non-TAWS version of the IFD does not have the Excessive Sink Rate feature that a certified TAWS does.
4.  The non-TAWS version of the IFD does not have the Negative Climb Rate after Takeoff or Go-Around that a certified TAWS does.

By way of reference the other two features that make up a certified TAWS system are the FLTA capability and the 500' call out capability.   Those are in the IFD now and will never be removed or face a $ up-charge.   The missing three features and TSO approval tag will have the $ up-charge when they are available.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 12:15pm

Steve, then this page needs clarification:

http://avidyne.com/products/ifd540/specifications.asp

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

It surely does! Good catch.

* Orest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terrain Awareness (IFD540 only)

• Color-Contoured Terrain Base Map Built in 
    – Americas Terrain & US Obstacle Data 
    – International Terrain Data – optional 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Yes, you're right. Thanks for the heads up. We'll fix it this week.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:07pm
All fixed.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:24pm
Steve, thanks for that - just the information I was looking for. I knew the TA and FLTA were in the 440 because I have read the manual!

The other features are of little interest to me - the only times they have been invoked with my present system they were nuisance alerts.

I see from the install manual that the 440 does not have the connector that carries the external annunciator and inhibit connections for the FLTA. This would have been nice, but since the only time I use the inhibit button is when landing at airfields not in the database, the need for this would be minimised with the IFD as those locations can be user-added.

zman520 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zman520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:32pm
Don't wait for someone to call you to tell you it is your turn.  That apparently doesn't happen. I called Avidyne to ask when my turn was.  They asked who was going to do the install and have I scheduled it yet?  I answered, "How can I schedule if I don't know when my delivery date is."  To which they replied, "Have your installer send us a zero dollar P. O."  I did and I had my two 440's in less than a week.  If I had waited any longer for the call, I would still be waiting.
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:44pm
I got an email yesterday quoting Dec 14 as the expected ship date. Not ideal because by the time they arrive in Australia the Christmas shutdown will hit, so it's likely to be mid-Jan before they are installed. But at least I have a date now...

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by zman520 zman520 wrote:

Don't wait for someone to call you to tell you it is your turn.  That apparently doesn't happen.
I called Avidyne to ask when my turn was.  They asked who was going to do the install and have I scheduled it yet?  I answered, "How can I schedule if I don't know when my delivery date is."  To which they replied, "Have your installer send us a zero dollar P. O."  I did and I had my two 440's in less than a week.  If I had waited any longer for the call, I would still be waiting.

I apologize for the breakdown in communication regarding your IFDs. We do have our Customer Service Representative working on contacting all depositors to schedule their shipping date. The process should be more streamlined than what you encountered. Our CSR will ask what installer you wish to use and coordinate everything on our end.

It sounds like their was a speedy resolution to the issue.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic