Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Static Wicks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Static Wicks
    Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:47pm
I am currently in the process of upgrading my Mooney 231 from the 'State-of-the-art' Silver Crown panel to a 540, 340, and 240 upgrade.  My question concerns the need for static wicks.  My airplane doesn't have any static wicks installed but I do have receptacles on the ailerons; I have no receptacles on the rudder or elevators.  I have occasionally had issues with static buildup using my old radios, but the tech installing the new stuff said they were much more sensitive and that I should put a full set of static wicks on the airplane.

I'm wondering what others have experienced in the real world and just how important static wicks will be in getting the most out of these new radios.  FYI - I am instrument rated and do fly in clouds when appropriate but I live in AZ and there just aren't many actual IFR days coming and going from home.  When I do fly IFR, though, I don't want to have any issues.

Thanks in advance!
Rick
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:58pm
Static wicks, when it matters, are not that important with speeds below 200 IAS.

That said, they look cool and are only $60 each. Go for it! I have a full set.

* Orest

Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:44am
FWIW, my Mooney 201 had no static wicks.  I have done a modest amount of IMC flying since installing the 540 and have noticed no problems with static.
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 10:26am
Thank you, Royski.  That's what I need to know.  I think I'll try it without any and see if it appears to cause any issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic