Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turn anticipation question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchetham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn anticipation question
    Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 6:53pm
Does the IFD540 Navigator support GPSS turn anticipation? When I select an IAF that depicts a hold for the course reversal, I will fly past the fix (to the non-holding - unprotected side) before turning to  enter the hold. The fix is a published fly-by (not a fly-over) way point. I would have expected GPSS turn-anticipation would have turned me before reaching the fix to keep me on the hold (protected) side of the final approach course.

Thanks
PMC
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 7:54pm
Yes.
pchetham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchetham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:52pm
But apparently not for the situation I described. I also confirmed this on the simulator - does the same thing - overflies a fly by way-point.
PMC
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:57pm
What is the airport/approach, and what is the waypoint?

* Orest

pchetham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchetham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 9:54pm
This seems to be the case for any IAF (coupled approach - DFC90 autopilot) where you are positioned for a parallel entry for the course reversal (I also tested this using the simulator - same result). In my airplane I was Northeast of HRMER (RNAV 35 approach - KFTG). I overflew HRMER, was West of the final approach course. GPSS then turned me back to intercept the outbound course. This put me on the "unprotected" side of the hold. I would have expected the GPSS steering to anticipate the turn and intercept the outbound course without overflying the fix.

PMC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic