Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flight Plan-adding approaches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flight Plan-adding approaches
    Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 10:04pm
New Guy-when loading a flight plan does the unit have to have locked on to GPS sats? Sitting in my hangar have loaded a flight plan but no approaches can be found to add in to plan. Talked to TECH today and-they will get back to me. The 540 is brand new and learning it is a step
for this old guy-never learned that G stuff way of nav. I have followed the pilot guide with no luck. Suggestions? Have played with the simulator so have the basics.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 10:43pm
I'm pretty sure I've put in flight plans with no GPS lock, that is in the hangar etc.

What was the flight plan you were trying to enter?

* Orest

sf260 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 11:23pm
I start from my home apt to list several local apts that have several approaches.
When I insert the airport into the flight plan and then try to get the list of approaches -nothing!!I have tried every trick but nothing works-click on PROC-nothing-talked to tech in MLB-no help-they will get back to me. Followed the pilot guide to the letter-nothing works.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 6:07am
It sounds like you have approaches turned off in the FMS Setup page.

Try these steps: 

1. Press the AUX button at bottom of box
2. Tab over to SETUP tab along the bottom edge
3. Press the line select key along the left edge that is labeled "Setup" until it says "Setup   FMS"  (It probably starts out saying "Setup   Map" in your case).
4.  Once there, use the bottom right knob to twist your way down to the Procedures section and look what the setting is for Approaches.  If it's "Off", you would get the behavior you are experiencing.

For the IFD540, that pilot guide description should be found on page 4-35.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
sf260 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sf260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 9:25pm
Works great now. Have to review the old adage: READ EVERYTHING BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. But now my color printer has just croaked as I reprint/review the pilot guide page by page-oh wait a minute-it is Friday the 13th-I should have known!
sf260 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 11:01pm
So it goes-the adding approach situation has led to losing my heading annuciation on the map page.
Now it displays track up on the map. How do I get my heading back as it is there from the Aspen previously when I was in the vfr operating mode?? I missed something??
sf260 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 11:02pm
So it goes-the adding approach situation has led to losing my heading annunciation on the map page.
Now it displays track up on the map. How do I get my heading back as it is there from the Aspen previously when I was in the vfr operating mode?? I missed something??
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:56am
sf260,

If that is changed, then you flipped that setting on the same setup page. You have a choice of Track or Heading based map views. Separate from and in addition to that, clicking the right knob "in" on the map view will switch between track/heading up, north up, and a 240* view.

I know you are excited by your new toy, and I think we are all happy here to help. But at some point you need to settle in with the manual and give it a good read. It is well written, and doing so will really improve your understanding of the depth and power of the IFD. I have reread it perhaps a dozen times. Of course I had been waiting for my unit for a while, so that was all I had! 

But, otherwise, keep them coming.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Nov 2015 at 9:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic