Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When the Jepp Database expires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When the Jepp Database expires
    Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 7:42pm
What functionality is lost when the 540 is used with an expired database, specifically the NavData not the charts?

I'm only curious because with north east winter coming, I might not be expecting any trips out of the area.  Perhaps some GPS approaches in VFR conditions to stay current, using Foreflight for the charts, etc.  Does the system turn off anything like LPV approaches if the database has expired?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 12:23am
Originally posted by cavu cavu wrote:

What functionality is lost when the 540 is used with an expired database, specifically the NavData not the charts?

The navdata and obstacle data is not removed if expired. Believe only the chart data will be hidden, and then only if more than six months out of date.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:39am
My chart data is more than 6 months out of date, it has a water mark on it that says something like 'not for navigation'.  Not sure about the nav data since mine is current, but I believe it was talked about in the forums long ago that it would stay, but you'd have a warning on the startup page where the text would be yellow or something like that.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:48pm

The Nav data works as normal. All approaches are available to the published minimums, although the legality of flying them might be called into question. The presence of current data onboard the airplane (Foreflite) may factor into the equation. But the fact is that unless you have an accident, nobody is going to start an investigation.

If the chart data is expired, the geo-referencing feature does not work (the IFD won't put the little airplane on the chart and leave a breadcrumb trail while you fly the approach).

If the chart data is very, very expired (I don't know the threshold) the IFD puts a "Not for Navigation" watermark on it.

David Bunin

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 10:02am
Right, we don't remove or prohibit anything with expired data.   Expired databases will generate an extra stop on startup as you must acknowledge the expired database(s) but all data is still usable.  When Charts expire, you get a "Not For Navigation" watermark on each chart.  At that point (and really always), it is the pilot's responsibility to compare the electronic chart with the current paper chart and if there are no changes, the electronic one is usable.

Note that the nav databases must be the same cycle for flight plan data to be shared between dual IFDs.  They can both be expired but must be the same expired cycle.

See page 6-25 of the Pilot Guide (IFD540) for additional info.

Bottom line:  Of course Avidyne highly recommends you keep all databases current but we don't remove any functionality due to expired databases.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 5:27pm
Just a bit off subject, but may I add a bit to what AviJake said?

It is the data that must be current to use for an IFR approach, not the datacard. 

It is all spelled out in the AIM. UPSAT started using the methodology in their FAA Approved Flight Manual Supplement in the late nineties and Garmin picked it up when they bought the company. It takes a while to explain. (Read the AIM) I am not recommending using out of date cards, but there is a way that such cards can be used if you verify that the data is correct. One way of doing that is as AviJake suggested, Another method is to check the procedure date of the Chart against the date on the datacard.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic