Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good news: SkyTrax 200 dual-band now available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote programmer@pcmforles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 1:11am
Has anyone wired their SkyTrax 200 up to their Aspen Pro and what unlock did you need to display traffic?    The Sky Trax 200 manual says an unlock may be needed but not which one, and Aspen was not sure.    It is a Capstone format that I believe is compatible/same as the Garmin formats so I think it may require the Garmin ADSB unlock card.   
LeeMajors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMajors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:38am
Does Avidyne ever do Osh specials where they sell and install on-site upgrades from 100B’s to 200’s?

Would be worth it if they’d come and hook it all up, had their laptop to double check the configuration talking with the IFD, and make sure it’s good before you leave.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 8:49am
We haven't in the past.  I don't expect that to change.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
LeeMajors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMajors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:02am
Shame.  Not sure I am worried about having a next generation ADS-B product until I get mine working 100% and the biggest issue is it requiring a laptop with the software and a serial port with an old enough OS to work the interface and going through and confirming port settings and such.

Unfortunately Gardner-Lowe didn't map the avionics install with it and provide it to the previous owner and thus I don't know which wires go to where and it requires us to either guess at the settings or go pin by pin.

It's a weird thing, if I use Capstone Wx/Tfc on my MLB100 in my Duke I get weather but no traffic.  If I set it to Capstone Hi I lose Weather and Traffic.

My 540 was updated by Carpenter last year so I could have the enroute synthetic vision (and they dumped all the settings including the WiFi output) and your tech support people were kind enough to send me the file to load it back in but I'm a little leery of doing it myself and my avionics guy hasn't been available (his house flooded and he has no spare time as he rebuilds) and my buddy Thom Duncan (we went to school and used to play pool together) who is brilliant says "bring it down and leave it on the ramp and we'll get to it or I can put you on the schedule... next Spring.  :D 

He fixed my Aspen problem we were struggling with in about 15 minutes over text message.  Amazing.  Good for Thom to be so good that everyone keeps you busy but it would be nice to have someone who knows this and wants the sale to be able to say "We'll include one hour of install to R&R the units and one hour of programming hookup with purchase at regular price at Osh".  

Just smart business really.

Edited by LeeMajors - 24 May 2022 at 10:07am
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:57am
I'm confused...do you have an MLB100/SkyTrax100 or a SkyTrax100B? The upgrade/update paths to a SkyTrax200 are different depending on what you already have installed. 

BTW - I have personally seen the MLB100/SkyTrax100 as well as the SkyTrax200 updated and/or configured with Windows 10 computers using their USB ports. The MLB100/SkyTrax100 update and configuration used a Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to serial port adapter as well as the Avidyne UAT Console program. The SkyTrax200 configuration used a USB to USB-C cable and the PuTTY serial interface program.

Edited by dmtidler - 24 May 2022 at 1:36pm
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:11pm
I imagine the wiring changes would make this a challenge to do.  Some of the installs had different wiring
LeeMajors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMajors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

I imagine the wiring changes would make this a challenge to do.  Some of the installs had different wiring
That’s why you offer it at 2 hours.  Doesn’t take long to swap the box, but if you find the wiring is going to be problematic when you pull the harness and have a look at the configuration page on the 540 or whatever it’s connected to, you’d probably know whether it could be done inside that or not.

Depends on the complexity of the install really.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic