Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 usage of GDL90 on Wifi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 usage of GDL90 on Wifi
    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:34pm
I have an IFD540 and a satellite weather device that transmits GDL90 weather data on its own Wifi network. 

It is a ADL 140 hardware used in Europe ( https://www.ing-golze.de/products_overview.jsp ) .

I use it in ForeFlight which receives GDL90 data by connecting the iPad to the ADL 140s Wifi network.

Then i can see weather downloaded by satellite. I think it works the same with Stratus (ADSB traffic and weather) and similar devices. 

Since the IFD can use remote networks instead of its own.
Does anyone know if Avidyne are planning to add support for GDL90 through Wifi in the future? Seems many devices supports GDL90. Would be nice with weather overlay on the IFD540. In Europe we don’t have ADSB-Weather.

Regards

Jonas
AlexTB20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexTB20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 6:00am
Starting this week, you can. There is a RS232 wire that can go directly into the IFD540. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 6:21am
Alex,
That's correct, but the question was about the IFD receiving GDL90 weather via wifi.

As far as I know, the IFD only accepts flight plan information over wifi. For example, ForeFlight can transmit a flight plan over wifi to the IFD. I don't think the IFD can accept weather from a Stratus unit via wifi.

Edited by chflyer - 05 Nov 2019 at 6:22am
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic