Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD knob won’t “enter”

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD knob won’t “enter”
    Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 11:31am
Does anyone know of any reason other than failure why the lower right IFD knob won’t function as the enter button when pressed? Both outer and inner knows work correctly.
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 11:31am
knobs*
b2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 11:50am
Have you tried pulling out on it slightly before pressing it?  Could be internals are stuck in pressed position.  One of my lower left knobs did that, working ok now after exercising it a bit.
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 3:17pm
I’ll give that a try but I’ve tried “exercising” it. Seems to be in the normal non-pressed position and until my last flight it would work intermittently. I fly VFR, usually using the D-> button so I doubt I’ve worn it out. Thanks for the suggestion. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 9:13am
Does the knob press work at all?  For instance, can you press it while on the map page to switch between views (e.g. north up, track up)?  If not, it sounds like a bad knob and I'd get with your dealer to have it fixed.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:34am
It could be a cracked knob.  I had this problem on my AXP-340 back in 2017.  The knob was cracked, and actually slid down on the shaft such that it couldn't push the shaft in when pressed (the base of the knob would contact the front face of the unit preventing the shaft from moving inward.)

Avidyne sent me a new knob which corrected the problem.

That might not be the problem, but something to check...
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 6:12pm
The knob isn’t cracked. I can feel the knob click when I press it. Unfortunately, didn’t try pressing it on the map page but it definitely didn’t function as an enter key. Both the knob rotary functions worked entering a flight plan. I’ll ride out to the airport tomorrow and check the map page function but I’m not optimistic. Very frustrating since I just got the JPI EDM-900 and Aspen 2000 MAX talking to the IFD 540.

Steve, if the knob is bad, as I suspect, is it a major operation to replace the knob? My avionics shop is no longer an Avidyne dealer. Will I have to find an authorized dealer for the repair? Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

Robert 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 8:48am
Yes, you'll need to get to a dealer for an RMA.  Give tech support a call and they can help with any further diagnosis and guide you through the return/repair process if necessary.  Call 1-888-723-7592 or email pilotsupport@avidyne.com.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:48am
Robert,

Pull the knob off and try the same operation again using only the metal tang. Even if a tactile click is felt, the knob could still be faulty. If the unit works without the plastic knob, we can just send you a set of knobs with no need to submit an RMA.
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 4:16pm
Thanks Steve and Mike. Will do. (BTW, “press func” didn’t work on the Maps page either.)
b2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 6:35am
Wondering if there has been any resolution to this issue?
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 3:22pm
I removed the knobs and there was still no “enter” function using the metal tangs. Since it will have to go to a dealer for an RMA, I’ll wait until the plane is down for its annual next Spring. Hopefully, it’s a quick turn around and not too expensive!

Robert 
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 12:11am
Spoke with tech support about 3 weeks ago and was told the unit had to be returned to Avidyne for repair. I took it to the large (work on biz jets, King Airs, Pilatus, Cirrus, etc.) local maintenance and avionics shop who said they could get the RMA # and return the unit for repair. When they were unable to contact Avidyne through the dealer portal, a salesperson told them that they failed to meet the sales quota for last year and were dropped as a dealership. I’ll have to find an out of town dealer to send the 540 back to Florida.Very inconvenient! Why Avidyne won’t give me, the registered owner, the RMA # and let me use my Allen wrench to remove the unit and ship it back, is beyond me. It isn’t like I’ll try and fix it myself. Oh well, another delay. 
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 11:26pm
Found the closest Avidyne dealer to me was 86 nm away. He got the RMA# and returned my unit to Melbourne. Obviously, after working with multimillion dollar imaging equipment for over 35 years, I must not be able to tell when an “enter” button isn’t functioning since I was told there was “no problem found“ and I owed $750 to ransom my unit! Good thing I was still under warranty so it only cost me $750. Wonder how long it will be before I don’t have the problem again?
b2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 6:30am
I love the IFDs but Avidyne really needs to reconsider the $750 "no problem" charge while a unit is under warranty.  I ran into the same issue with a wifi problem.  No one will go through all the.effort of troubleshooting, the hassle of returning a unit, and potentially being grounded for no good reason.  This service should be included in the warranty.  Really leaves a bad taste associated with an otherwise fantastic piece of equipment.
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 7:49am
Agreed. Particularly when you’ve done everything recommended by Avidyne engineers on this forum and tech support to test the unit and being told there was nothing that could be done in the field like spraying electronics cleaner or something benign before sending the unit in. It was a very expensive software update to 10.2.6!
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 10:06pm
The IFD 540 was reinstalled last Friday. When the unit was sent to Avidyne, I requested they preserve the configuration and pilot profile settings. Of course, the unit was wiped clean. I had taken pictures of the configuration pages and was able to restore everything except the COM radio transmission. I have com radio reception but get a transmission error when I key the mike. I’d appreciate any help in finding the correct page and setting to restore the radio. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic