Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Trainer App + X-Plane = Happy New Year!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Trainer App + X-Plane = Happy New Year!
    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 9:10pm
Avidyne, will it be a happy new year?

Has there been any motion toward getting the IFD Trainer app lashed up with a PC flight simulator? I'm getting ready to upgrade my sim software and all the Garmin options are just killing me!

I don't want to start learning Garmin stuff just to have a GPS navigator in my sim plane!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 12:55pm
We've done some work, but it just hasn't been a priority lately.  We're focused on getting 10.3 over the finish line (still).
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Speedbird1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 6:57pm
As of late it appears Avidyne has dropped the ball on many things.  For the price that the IFDs are the lack of software development/time to market is appalling.  

It's easy to blame COVID but most of the software developers write code no matter if they are in the office or out of it.  

Also, to add insult to injury, if you call Avidyne for support it is terrible.  You are lucky to get a call back.  I've got a friend who's not only purchased a 540 and 550.  He also has the DFC90 and they just don't return his call.  Awful customer service. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:07pm
The problem with sims is that all the sim developers & add-on suppliers (hardware & software) have Garmin blinders. There is no support in the sim space for Avidyne.

I wouldn‘t lay the blame on Avidyne or expect them to invest resources, as a small company, in an area where Garmin has not needed to do anything to get their equipment supported by sims.

Avidyne has demonstrated connection of their hardware to x-plane (see their video about that), but that’s not an attractive or practical option due to the need to continually remove/insert the hardware in the aircraft, prone to provoking hardware failures.
Vince
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Speedbird1 Speedbird1 wrote:

As of late it appears Avidyne has dropped the ball on many things.  For the price that the IFDs are the lack of software development/time to market is appalling.  

I don't think this is fair. It's not like you bought a subscription. The IFDs (or the 430/530, or the GTNs for that matter) do what they do when you buy them. Buying a piece of avionic gear in the hope that it will some day sprout a new feature you want is a risky bet. There are definitely things on the public 10.3 list that I'd like to have, but their absence doesn't diminish the value of the IFD that I have *right now*. If I get more features later for free, great! If not, well, it's not like I'm paying for them. [1]

Quote Also, to add insult to injury, if you call Avidyne for support it is terrible.  You are lucky to get a call back.  I've got a friend who's not only purchased a 540 and 550.  He also has the DFC90 and they just don't return his call.  Awful customer service.

I can't speak to this because I haven't *had* to call Avidyne support in, oh, four or five years now but maybe I'm just lucky.

[1] and yes, I realize that there are things like RF leg support whose absence *does* reduce the usefulness of the IFD series for many people.
vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:50am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

The problem with sims is that all the sim developers & add-on suppliers (hardware & software) have Garmin blinders. There is no support in the sim space for Avidyne.

The trainer app already does everything that's required. All that's needed is to modify it to take position information from the flight simulator. (The EFB apps already do this.) No further investment by the sim developers.
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:34am
I think there is more to it than position.  You also need to send com and nav frequencies back and forth, ID the navaid, pull traffic and weather, and also there are issues around nav database mismatches and such.  I think they should just open an api to these things and then let a 3rd party dev do the interface with the sim work... like RealityXP did with Garmin.

vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:48am
The API is there. The IFD 100 does all those things through it.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 5:05am
Just the presence of the API isn‘t enough for sims to work with it. They need to be programmed for it.
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic