Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 integration into training simulators?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 4:18pm
Xplane integration is still in the plan, but it's not being worked very hard right now.  We're pretty swamped with 10.2.4.1 cert work and also 10.3. features. 
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 1:02am
x-plane integration of IFD would be really great, but I agree with the priority of getting 10.2.4.1 and 10.3 out asap..... especially RF legs (couldn't resist ;-)
Vince
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 10:45pm
Any more info on x-plane integration considering the video posted on youtube?

Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:06am
Vince I cannot find any list or anything that speaks of a 10.2.4.1 update and what it does?  Where is it?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:19am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Nothing more than what you see, but clearly it's being worked.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
R0bst3r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote R0bst3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 11:19am
I'm super excited for this.  I am currently flying XPlane with the Reality XP Gtn 750/650.  Hitting the back button is getting old :)

I only hope we can run the IFD simulator on an Ipad instead of needing the physical GPS.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 4:25pm
Roger, the only thing I've seen from Avidyne about 10.2.4.1 is that is minor fix for a number of smaller issues. Avidyne doesn't release details of any new release before it is approved and available for installation so you won't find them yet.

Edited by chflyer - 22 Jan 2020 at 4:26pm
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:25pm
That's a fascinating video, just enough information to whet an appetite without giving useful details about how to duplicate it.

I had the Lonestar Commander unit shown in the video for my GNS430W, but sold it with the unit when I bought my IFDs. I got the Commander mostly to load waypoints at home due to the very time-consuming effort on those old devices. With the IFDs it is so quick and easy, that was not necessary. But mostly, I am no longer comfortable continually removing and reinserting the IFDs into the panel. The backplane jack pins are very sensitive to bending and constant in/out movement is just asking for trouble IMHO.

The video shows some rather fancy looking cabling in the background, and it would be of some academic interest to know details of the setup being shown. But for most of us, a more practical solution would be to have something like the Reality XP GTN for the IFDs. One of those on an x-plane touch screen with a knobster would be just the cat's meow.

Edited by chflyer - 22 Jan 2020 at 5:25pm
Vince
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:55pm
totally awesome video.  can't wait

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 1:32pm
It would be nice if Avidyne were forthcoming with a bit more details.

One of the disadvantages of choosing a challenger like Avidyne is the limited installed base which results in less accompanying products, in this case simulator add-ons.

There is such a huge Garmin installed base that companies like RealSim gear and Reality XP develop sim products for almost everything Garmin produces, and yet don't even produce anything for the most basic and important Avidyne products like the IFD. It is a shame that Avidyne has no ability to influence or financially support such product development as it would really be attractive to customers.
Vince
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:08pm
There's something to be said for the old Avis commercial line "we're number two so we try harder".
Avidyne seems a lot more sensitive to customer concerns
Avidynes slide right into legacy Garmin trays, where Garmin elected to both sell you a newer unit and an unnecessary re-install placing dealers over customers.
Avidyne plays well with others...Garmin tries not to play at all
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:30pm
My comment wasn't meant as a promotion for Garmin over Avidyne, or a criticism. I love my Avidyne IFDs and AXP, and their customer service has been outstanding when needed. It was just a bit of a lament that being such a dominator in the market, Garmin products are obvious candidates for really useful sim add-ons, something that us Avidyne customers can only dream about.
Vince
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Any progress updates?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:08am

Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Any progress updates?
No, it's on the back burner.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bonnell65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonnell65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 2:38pm
For long term planning, I would definitely be on board for IFD/Flight Sim integration.  Who knows when fuel prices will spike again and that will be a catalyst for more use of certified (logged) or home-based (not logged but procedural practice) simulator use.  I also, me personally, find the G-products less intuitive than my IFD.  Not having it for my (being built now) FlightSim room is an annoyance.

All that said, I am enthusiastically optimistic about the recent posts, even if simmering in the background!
bcarlowise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcarlowise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 2:46pm
I too would love to see Avidyne IFD integration capabilities with X-Plane. I fly X-Plane alot in order to practice procedures and especially to practice flying to destinations that I will be flying to in the near future. What would be really amazing is having the IFD as a GPS navigator option in X-Plane like there is for the GNS430w and GNS530w
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic