Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Issue with weather display in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issue with weather display in Europe
    Posted: 09 May 2022 at 5:07pm
For context; Europe doesn’t have a FIS-B/TIS-B ground network like the US does, but there were/are some trial ground stations now broadcasting FIS-B weather in the UK and Denmark. Also, Golze Engineering, who make a widely used Iridium based weather device that can be connected to ForeFlight and other iPad apps have now introduced an accessory that broadcasts weather on the 978MHz UAT frequency inside the aircraft at low power, so ADS-B receivers can pick it up as if it were coming from a ground station. 

In my aircraft a Lynx NGT-9000+ transponder provides FIS-B weather and traffic to the IFD. I have noticed that the IFD cannot display a weather image that crosses the zero meridian. In my test, a weather ‘cigar’ around a route from the Netherlands to a destination in the West of the UK was displaying fine on the Lynx, but cut of the section West of the zero meridian on the IFD.

I have sent a bug report to Avidyne technical support but didn’t see much interest in fixing it. I’m reporting it here in case other European users have come across the same issue.

Edited by jhbehrens - 09 May 2022 at 5:09pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 6:42pm
So, is this data from the trial ground UAT stations, or the Golze device?

And, you can display that spoofed UAT data on a portable device without issue?

In Canada there is a private network of ground stations being developed to broadcast UAT data. I can currently display this using a portable UAT receiver (Stratus) on a tablet. Was hoping to show that on the IFD when 10.3 is released.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 May 2022 at 6:46pm
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 12:48pm
In my case, the data is coming from Golze device. You could already display that data on a portable device (eg ForeFlight on an iPad) as the Golze devices have Wifi and broadcasts it using GDL90 compatible with ForeFlight and other popular apps. The new accessory also broadcasts it on the UAT frequency, so a regular ADS-B receiver can pick it up.

My posting was regarding a bug in Avidyne software which doesn't allow an image to cross the zero meridian, you won't see that issue in Canada.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 1:02pm
Yes, crossing the prime meridian flying in Canada, would mean you've lost your way!

No, I was just meaning to confirm that you saw what you should on the portable device, but not on the IFD, ie. the crossing issue.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 May 2022 at 1:02pm
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 1:36pm
I confirm the same behaviour with an IFD440 receiving Capstone/GDL90 weather from a Golze ADL150B via RS232.  Living in the UK, it would be a shame not to resolve this behaviour across the 0 meridian.  The display on an EX5000C (same data feed) is fine, as is Foreflight via wifi.

Examples yesterday for route EGGP (00250W) - EGSH (00117E)

ADLConnect app display :-)

EX5000C display :-)

Foreflight display :-)

IFD440 display - all hatched W of 0 meridian :-(

And should the IFD100 also display the weather radar image?  :-(

AviSteve Could you please advise how best to report this through technical reporting channels - and raise its profile?  On the face of it this behaviour sits with the IFD rather than other devices

Edited by ColinW - 21 May 2022 at 1:39pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:05pm
We're already aware of the issue.  The fix is scheduled for inclusion in 10.3.1.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic