Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MFD Data Update Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MFD Data Update Question
    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:20pm
I just renewed the data subscription with Jepp which includes the Nav Data and CMAX Charts subscription for my EX5000 MFD.  Since it is a new subscription - I purchased new USB drives to download the data and transport to the hangar.  The JDM download app would not recognize the new USBs because the app has a requirement for the download destination to be formatted MS-DOS Fat 16.  The new USB drives are formatted FAT 32 out of the package.  So I attempted to reformat the USBs.  Because the drives have 16G capacity, FAT 16 is not a valid formatting option.  

So long story to ask this question:  Is the FAT 16 requirement from Jepp or required by the EX5000 MFD?

Is the best option to go buy smaller USBs and format them as FAT 16?  

Interestingly - the data for Nav, Obstacles and Terrain for the IFD440s, all work with FAT 32.    

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:36pm
I believe the USB drive has to be 512 MB or less, it has to be FAT 16 for the EX-5000, you can get one from ebay or Amazon
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:43pm
For my EX5000 navdata updates I use a Transcend 2GB USB drive, formatted Fat 16. The size of the updates is usually ~8MB, so my drive is much bigger than is needed.  I use a separate, same kind drive to download the engine logs.  I do not use CMAX.
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
Duncan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 2:44pm
Notes for USB Flash Memory users: 
• Due to system constraints, you cannot download both CMax Chart Data and NavData on the same USB Flash Memory device at the same time. Therefore, Avidyne suggests that you keep one USB Flash memory drive for CMax and another for NavData (and, if your aircraft is equipped with EMax, one more USB device to load EMax data from your MFD to the PC.
• Many USB Flash Memory Drives are now delivered with U3 Launchpad installed. This application, from U3, prevents any Jeppesen data (NavData or CMax Charts) from loading. If your USB Flash Memory Drive has U3 Launchpad, you must uninstall it. For information about uninstalling U3 Launchpad, see www.u3.com/support/ or www.u3.com/ uninstall/.
• Avidyne recommends using a USB 2.0 Flash Memory Drive with a size of 128MB, 256MB, or 512MB for Nav Data updates and a USB 2.0 Flash Memory Drive with a size of 256MB or 512MB for CMax Chart Data. Avidyne recommends not using a 1GB USB Memory Drive or larger for Nav Data updates or CMax. 

Edited by Duncan - 10 Dec 2019 at 2:44pm
Jandair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 2:54pm
Thanks for all of the input - I was able to find some old USB drives that I was not using because they were "old".  :-)  

They worked well for the updates.

dfw11411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfw11411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 11:43pm
The second time I downloaded updates to the USB drives, the MFD refused to accept it. Jeppesen suggested that I reformat the USB drives each time before downloading the latest databases. Apparently some outdated files from a previous update can cause problems with the update process.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic