Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New EX5000 Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New EX5000 Upgrade
    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 11:32am
Question for Avidyne:

Are there any plans to upgrade the hardware for the EX5000 MFD?  Could also apply to the PFD?  

There are hundreds of Entegra units flying that are based on older HW and SW.  Are there any plans for some simple upgrades to the existing units?  With evolution of technology, seems like it would be relatively simple to add some more memory, maybe a faster processor, faster interface for upgrades, etc... Also I think the base SW is using a version of Windows that is no longer supported.  

You could take it a little further and add touchscreen, bluetooth, tighter integration with the IFDs... But I am not sure how much cost that would add.  

IMO, A plug-n-play upgrade for existing units would be very popular.  The current units are working fine, but an upgrade to SW / HW would help performance and open other possibilities for future features.  

I will be happy to volunteer to be a beta tester. :-). 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 11:38am
We won't disclose future product plans.  But it's good to know that there's interest so thanks for that!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:45pm
@Steve.  I fully understand Avidyne's position but you might consider that the Cirrus specific market is starting to move on MFD (and PFD/MFD) replacements.  Garmin is actively marketing a TXI upgrade (for large $$$) that is getting serious consideration.  Cirri where the MFD is not required equipment are starting to opt for mounted iPads.  Your window for replacement is not infinite.  Many folks would wait for Avidyne and to go with an aviation-specific solution if they knew something was planned in the next year or so.  Non-Cirrus folks may be doing the same thing.
------------
dave
Jandair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:40pm
Yes - I fly a Piper PA-32.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic