Print Page | Close Window

Garmin G3X and IFD440/540 Compatibility

Printed From: Avidyne
Category: Avidyne General
Forum Name: IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
Forum Description: Topics on Avidyne's IFD 5 Series and IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
URL: http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1713
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 6:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Garmin G3X and IFD440/540 Compatibility
Posted By: Inplaneview
Subject: Garmin G3X and IFD440/540 Compatibility
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 12:45pm
Garmin just announced the certification of their G3X for a number of certified airplanes.  I have an IFD440 in my Cardinal.  Will the IFD's will work with the G3X?

I have been waiting for word from BendixKing on the release of their Aerovue Touch EFD, but may decide to go with the G3X if it will work with my Avidyne.  (By there way...has anyone heard about when the Aerovue Touch may be available for purchase?)

Thanks,
Jim
KSSF

Replies:
Posted By: LANCE
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 12:21am
Garmin was very specific in their webinar - the G3X will only support Garmin GPS units.

Posted By: chflyer
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 4:53am
The prices that I've seen thrown around for the AeroVue Touch (BendixKing doesn't just publish pricing like G* does, which is silly these days) won't fit many/most SEP refit budgets. If BendixKing wants to address the same market as the G3X, then they need to certify their xVue and they need to do it fast or G* will have cornered that market too.

-------------
Vince

Posted By: DH82FLYER
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:16am
See the following which mentions compatibility with the G3X in the next IFD software upgrade...

AviSteve : 10.2.3.1
Here is a more detailed list of changes:

Interfaces
  Scale roll steering for G3X compatibility

Thomas

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:52pm
That suggests Avidyne made the IFD compatible with the experimental G3X.  Maybe they can certify with the G3X like they did with G5.

Posted By: AviSteve
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 12:06pm
We've done some work to support a customer who has interfaced an IFD and a G3X in his experimental.  That's the source of the comment in the 10.2.3.1 release notes.  However, we haven't done any formal flight testing with the G3X here and it is not currently listed in the STC.

-------------
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the reply Steve.  I'd bet there are a lot of guys like me with a 440 or 540 and still looking for the right glass package to update their panel with.  I'm waiting to hear more from BendixKing regarding their Aerovue Touch, but I don't want to wait forever.  That's why the G3X has my interest.

Posted By: rolfe_tessem
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:24pm
If the 540 looks just like a 530 to the G3X, is this just a paperwork issue?

Rolfe

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

If the 540 looks just like a 530 to the G3X, is this just a paperwork issue
Most likely.  We would want to do comprehensive testing just to be sure.

-------------
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

If the 540 looks just like a 530 to the G3X, is this just a paperwork issue
Most likely.  We would want to do comprehensive testing just to be sure.

Steve,

Can you elaborate a little on your response?  Does Avidyne plan to ensure the IFD440/540 will fully interface with the G3X in certified aircraft?  When can we expect this to be accomplished?  

Thanks,
Jim

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:33am
We've have heard of (and helped with) installations where integration of a G3X with an IFD has been successful.  Based on those interactions, we have even included a change in 10.2.3.1 having to do with scaling a roll steering signal to better support G3X.

That said, we don't have a G3X here on a bench or in a plane, nor do we have enough reliable, official documentation on the G3X to comfortably claim it in our STC at this point.  Depending upon workload and equipment/documentation availability, we may be able to do it in 10.3, but I don't know of any definitive plan for inclusion in that release yet.

-------------
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Posted By: fdombroski
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 9:07am
Hello Steve,

I have an RV-8 with full G3X suite.  I have a Garmin 430W installed, and could test the IFD440 if you would like an experimental test user?  I am familiar with the IFD, so no learning curve to familiarize with the system.  If you have a test sequence, I can work with you to verify all functionality.

Let me know if you are interested.

Best,
Frank

-------------
2003 Columbia 350
Vans RV-8

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net