Print Page | Close Window

Criteria for the NAV Flag or our indicator?

Printed From: Avidyne
Category: Avidyne General
Forum Name: IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
Forum Description: Topics on Avidyne's IFD 5 Series and IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
URL: http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=748
Printed Date: 18 May 2024 at 9:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Criteria for the NAV Flag or our indicator?
Posted By: jzawodn
Subject: Criteria for the NAV Flag or our indicator?
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:55pm
OK, my last question of the day. :-)

Again, this isn't quite clear from the manual, unless I've missed it.

If we "manually" tune a LOC or ILS frequency and fly the approach in VLOC mode w/out any GPS waypoint, the NAV flag on our KI 209A doesn't clear. We saw this several times today on a LOC approach.

The needle behaved flawlessly and I was able to follow it to the runway every time, but the white/orange NAV flag was present the entire time. Since it's practice in VFR conditions with an instructor in the right seat, we opted to keep going and figure it out later.

Now it's later and I'm trying to figure it out.

The 540 properly ID's the LOC by identifier and, as I said, the needle gave proper indications. But we're not clear why the flag was visible the entire time.

If I'm missing a bit in the manual, please tell me to go RTFM and I will.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Replies:
Posted By: AviJake
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 6:49pm
That's not in the manual.

Has anyone else seen this before?

-------------
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:29pm
I called the tech support line today and spoke with Ray.

He couldn't come up with an answer either, so I asked him to check with the engineers about the criteria that need to be met for the NAV flag to clear on a "manually" tuned LOC that IDs properly.

Interestingly, on that same flight we manually tuned a VOR which also ID'd correctly but the NAV flag was not present.

In both cases the CDI provided the expected guidance.

So the mystery continues.

We're flying VOR approaches tomorrow AM, so we'll be looking for anything that's not quite right...

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 3:52pm
For the record, I did 3 practice ILS approaches yesterday and the NAV flag was present the entire time. The unit did sequence from GPS -> VLOC and IDd the LOC frequency correctly, provided proper CDI guidance, etc. But the flag was showing.

This isn't an issue when using it in GPS mode or when tuned to a VOR.

Jeremy

Posted By: bellanca1730a
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:13am
Jeremy, I haven't been paying close attention, but reading this in view of a couple of other threads on dual 540s, cross-syncing and GPS/OBS modes can't help wonder if you have dual 540s set up to cross-sync.

-------------
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by bellanca1730a bellanca1730a wrote:

Jeremy, I haven't been paying close attention, but reading this in view of a couple of other threads on dual 540s, cross-syncing and GPS/OBS modes can't help wonder if you have dual 540s set up to cross-sync.

Actually a single unit but I think we may have sorted that out.  More in a week or so.

Posted By: 94S
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 3:59pm
I have been experiencing the same thing.  I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago before seeing this thread.  I flew again today to confirm that what I saw was the same thing.  I was flying the ILS R31 at KBIS starting with the arc.  The nav flag clears when tuned to the VOR, then doesn't when tuned to the LOC.  The needles give the proper indications, but the flag doesn't clear.  I have a single IFD, with KI209A.  I pulled the logs.  To whom should I send the logs?

I was going to upload photos, but I can't seem to upload the photos directly from my hard drive.  I'll try to figure this out and upload later.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 3:18pm
Unfortunately, my visit to the avionics shop got postponed by a week.

I'll message you privately though with a related question...

Jeremy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net