Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Entegra Release 9 > Release 9 Insiders - Anyone can post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R9 - GPS Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R9 - GPS Problems
    Posted: 11 May 2020 at 4:33am
I have been getting random GPS faults in flight on GPS #1 (antenna on the roof) over recent times. If I reboot IFD#1 it comes back on line, although will sometimes fail again later in the flight, requiring another reboot. 

The other day after landing from a flight where it went out twice, I checked the GPS sensor page while taxiing and the accuracy measures were all rapidly winding up. I stopped but they kept going up until they reached such high numbers the GPS went offline and into fault mode.

My maintenance shop wants to blame a faulty antenna, but given it comes back on line when I reboot the IFD I am a bit suspicious of that diagnosis.

Any suggestions on what this issue may be?

Regards
Andrew
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:04am
That's a problem best addressed by tech support.  Have the shop give them a call and they'll be happy to assist.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:40pm
Steve I am in Australia, so that is not that easy. Any chance you could flick them my message?

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:09am
Sure, they'll need to know what diagnostics have been run by the shop.  Let me know which shop you use and I'll turn it over to tech support from here.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 3:26am
Looks like it may have been the antenna. Swapped it out and so far so good.
Thanks
Andrew
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:52pm
Steve, 

Unfortunately it looks like the antenna was not the issue after all. Ian Kirby from Complete Avionics at the Gold Coast in Australia is going to contact your tech guys Monday your time to see if they can come up with anything.

Below is the email I sent to ian this morning for his discussion with Avidyne and outlines the history of the problem.

Would appreciate if you could follow up with the tech support guys to make sure they respond as quickly as possible. I am kind of stuck with local VFR flights only at the moment while this problem persists. It i super frustrating.  

Regards
Andrew
-------------------------------------
Ian, 

As discussed here is the history of VH WWJ's current GPS issue. 

1. About 6 months ago I started getting intermittent GPS 1 failures in flight. The failure frequency was a failure every 3 or 4 flights.
2. The failures gradually became more frequent and I realised if I rebooted IFD1 in flight the situation would resolve. 
3. Over the last few weeks, GPS1 failures became more frequent (sometimes several times in a flight) and GPS2 often also started going offline once GPS1 had failed, resulting in dual GPS failures and having to reboot both IFD's to get the GPS's back online. 
4. Once while on the ground, I noted on the sensor page that the HPL and VPL figures for GPS1 were rapidly increasing before the GPS went to fault mode. Other times while I have been watching they have gone from solid reception straight to fault mode.
5. As you know we replaced the antenna for GPS1, but it appears we did not resolve the issue.

Note : the GPS1 antenna is on the roof and the GPS 2 antenna is under the glare guard

Appreciate if you could discuss the above with Avidyne and let me know if you come up with anything.

aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:39am
Steve

The Complete Avionics guys are in touch with Avidyne tech support and sent all the logs in today so hopefully we will have some progress soon.

I have an interesting fact that may be relevant that I wanted to pass on. All three R9 equipped aircraft in the local area have had dual GPS failures over the past week. Two would be a coincidence, all three seems to me like something a bit more systemic. I only just passed that information on to Complete after they closed for the day. Would you mind feeding that in to your tech support team for their info as well.

Appreciate any feedback you may have.

Regards
Andrew
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:01am
I agree, seems like more than a coincidence.  It also seems unlikely that it's the airplanes or the avionics.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I agree, seems like more than a coincidence.  It also seems unlikely that it's the airplanes or the avionics.

Except that the Garmin equipped aircraft don’t seem to be having the same issues!
rpeachey View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpeachey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:21am
As Andrew has just said, two R9 planes and one Garmin equipped plane flying together in my lastest flight, with R9,s with dual gps failure and the Garmin with no problems. 
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 8:00am
Steve, 
I haven’t heard anything back and it has been a couple of days since I sent the logs. Any chance you could ask what is happening or if there is a progress update? Appreciate it.
Thanks
Andrew
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:22pm
Steve, It has even over a week now and no response back from the tech guys. Can you chase them up please or at least give me me a hint as to what may be happening?
Thanks
Andrew
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:11pm
Last correspondence I saw was from last Thursday.  The tech support guys recommended moving the GPS antenna to the exterior of the aircraft.  Tech support did receive the logs, but found nothing that pointed to a specific cause for the behavior.  I'm not sure what correspondence tech support has had with your shop since then.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:45pm
Steve

I checked earlier this morning and no communication so far.

Moving GPS#2 to an external antenna is unlikely to remedy the problem. GPS#1 already has an external antenna and is the one that was failing initially, triggering this whole issue. Both the external antenna GPS and the internal antenna GPS simulatneously went from good reception to Failure mode with no preceding warnings or loss of integrity. One minute they were just fine and then "bang", both in Failure mode. 

That sequence, plus the other R9's in the same area are also having dual GPS failures (Rod Peachy in VH PGA) had another series of failures over the weekend) point to something other than GPS2 antenna location don't they?

Regards
Andrew
rpeachey View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpeachey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:42am
I went flying Saturday in VH-PGU.  Within 5 minutes of becoming airborne, dual GPS failure.  I pulled circuit on #2 and reset.  It came back on line.  Then reset #1 and it came back on line.

About 10 minutes later both failed again.  Reset  both.  About 15 minutes later #2 failed again.  # 1 stayed on lime until I landed about 10minutes later.  Very strange stuff.
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 4:20am
Software upgrade to 9.4.2 and looks like the problem may be solved. 6 hours flying over 4 different days and not a squeak from the GPS's. Happy to be back in the IFR business again, but kinda wondering why the SB wasn't sent to owners??
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:02pm
Glad to hear that.  Some service bulletins are distributed to end customers, but most are distributed to dealers and service centers.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic