Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Entegra Release 9 > Entegra Release 9 General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Release 9.4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Release 9.4
    Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 1:13pm
I don't think we've publicized plans for Rel 9.4 yet so here you go:

Release 9.4 adds vertical guidance for GPS approaches (e.g. LP+V) , support for Avidyne’s AXP322 remote-mount transponder for ADS-B out, and compatibility with Avidyne’s SkyTrax 100 receiver for ADS-B In, and SkyTrax 200 transceiver for ADS-B In/Out.  This release will also enable the Take Off/Go Around (TOGA) feature for R9-equipped Cirrus aircraft that have the DFC100 autopilot. Some minor bug fixes will also be included.

This release will be ready later this year.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Stefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 5:12am
Hello Steve

can you please shed some light on the time schedule for Release 9.4? We are waiting for the following features:

- LPV approaches
- ADS-B out with the Becker Transponder
- some solution for Iridium weather (I understood MLX770 is no longer supported?)
.... maybe by using 3rd party hardware such as IridiumGo! and uploading weather data into the R9 via WIFI??
- ADS-B in (I understood this should already be working in 9.3 with a TAS610?)

Many thanks, Stefan
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 12:50pm
I'm not Steve but I can help. R9.4 is scheduled to be approved and available during the first half of 2017.

-LPV approaches are supported today in R9.3, LNAV+V will be added in R9.4
-ADS-B Out will be supported in R9.4 with our AXP322
-R9.4 will not have any additional Iridium support
-ADS-B In will be supported via our SkyTrax100 ADS-B receiver (which relies on the 978MHz band for ADS-B In) 
-The TAS610 does not have any ADS-B capabilities
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Stefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 3:29pm
Hi Simpson

many thanks for the quick update, just to clarify a few points:

In Release 9.4 
- ADS-B out will not be supported with the Becker BXP-6402-1R-(01) transponder? Although it has extended squitter?
- ADS-B in will be supported only via Skytrax100? Or additionally also via TAS6xx(A)? What will be the 1090 solution?

In respect to MLX770 showing Iridium uploaded weather on R9
- Has Avidyne really canceled the support for this product? How can existing MLX770 units be used?
- Or other way round: What service and what data is still and will remain being available?

Many thanks, Stefan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Stefan Stefan wrote:

Hi Simpson

many thanks for the quick update, just to clarify a few points:

In Release 9.4 
- ADS-B out will not be supported with the Becker BXP-6402-1R-(01) transponder? Although it has extended squitter?
- ADS-B in will be supported only via Skytrax100? Or additionally also via TAS6xx(A)? What will be the 1090 solution?

In respect to MLX770 showing Iridium uploaded weather on R9
- Has Avidyne really canceled the support for this product? How can existing MLX770 units be used?
- Or other way round: What service and what data is still and will remain being available?

Many thanks, Stefan

The Becker transponder will not have the STC that is required for ADS-B Out. This STC is required to be ADS-B compliant. Even though a transponder has "ES" it doesn't mean that it is legally approved as an ADS-B pair with a GPS.
The TAS-A will be supported

False. The MLX770 is still a supported product however, it never had an interface with R9.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Stefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 6:24pm
As for the Becker transponder: Understood, we'll see what Becker does.

As for the MLX770: I was assuming such interface existed, since it is on the Optional Equipment List of our Extra500. Moreover I was referring to the Entegra Integrated Flight Display System Maintenance Manual, 600-00234-004 Revision No. 00. Date:07/27/09, quote:

Page 21

The IFD has the capability to interface with all of the available Avidyne sensors such as TAS, TWX, MLB, MLX, as well as many third party sensors. 

Page 23

2.2.6 Datalink Interface

The IFD receives weather data and transmits position and configuration data from the Avidyne MLB700 satellite data receiver or MLX770/780 satellite data transceiver, via an RS232 port on the MPIO. 

wwh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 2:11pm
Is there an update on Rel 9.4?  On July 22, 2016 you said the "release will be ready by the end of the year" (2016) and its now 2018!  I've tried contacting Avidyne via phone regarding this to no avail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:52pm
We are waiting for the STC approval for Release 9.4, the data and paperwork has been submitted to the FAA. Should be approved very soon.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Samurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 6:22pm
Now that AviSimpson is gone, who is taking over the R9 stuff? I see a lot of comments down for the IFD5xx but no comments up here.
Also, any updates would be nice. I was told that 9.4 was submitted in Dec for STC approvals, here we are in Feb and nothing but crickets.
If you cant give updates, how about a generalization of how long a STC approval takes? When i saw 10.2 get approved, it seemed like it was STC'ed in only a few weeks, not months.
Avi_Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avi_Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:56am

Samurai

Fair comment. We have activated two great resources for the Avidyne Live community. Avisteve and AviTJ. I think you will find their engagement with the community very insightful from both a technical and feature/function perspective. They are already active on many threads including the new release of 10.2.1 for our IFD series product.

Good news on 9.4 is that it has been released and available for upgrade. For customers that want it right now the software upgrade will cost $999 plus nominal dealer labor. We are actively working on a Q2 promo with Avidyne product bundles that will substantially reduce the software upgrade charge to effectively zero. Stay tuned for more info as we determine what the specifics of that promotion will entail.

Fly Safe

Samurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:32pm
how about bundling it with the hardware upgrades that we have to do anyway? I mean i already bought the Skytrax100 and its waiting for it to be put in, but i haven't bought the AXP 322 yet. 
Avi_Mitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avi_Mitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:38pm
That's along the lines of what we are thinking as well. Stay tuned!

Mitch Biggs
VP Sales & Marketing
Samurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:56pm
Do you have the detailed release notes for 9.4 like you released for 10.2.1?
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:55pm
For those of us who bought an ADSB transponder from Avidyne early (i.e. last year) I hope we get some consideration.
Regards
Andrew
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 4:19pm
Release 9.4 has been approved!  Here is a list of changes included in the release. 

VHF Radio
- Improved filters for 8.33KHz and 25KHz frequencies.
- Improve control of pilot controlled lighting (PCL)
- Improve VOR sensitivity and Morse code processing.
- Allow for adjustment of sidetone volume
- Fix issue whereby VOR/LOC composite signal is lost during transmission.
- Fix issue whereby a Com Stuck message is often deleted too rapidly.
- Improve VHF squelch breaks when the cross-side VHF is transmitting.

Map
- Improved map pop-up to better represent some overlapping airspaces
- Eliminated duplicate airport labels at low map range

FMS
- Fixed an error that would show computed leg courses slightly different than published
- Fixed error storing holding pattern course in stored route
- Fixed an error that caused stored route edits to be lost if entry was interrupted
- Fixed error displaying long flight plan previews
- Added support for LP+V approaches

Charts
- Fixed error that could cause some chart headers to be partially displayed

Traffic/Weather
- Improve parsing of raw METAR records
- Improve cosmetic appearance of some datalink advisory messages
- Support ADS-B/FIS-B input at both approved FIS-B baud rates (38.4 and 115.2).
- Add support for the AXP322 remote mount transponder.
- Support ARINC-735B traffic from an ADS-B receiver.
- Expand ARINC-743A output for Avidyne TAS-A

Misc
- Fixed error that caused keyboard display to be jumbled after individual IFDs are power cycled.
- Improve consistency of engine parameter coloration 
- Improve cosmetic appearance of tabs and LSKs.
- Improve nav data update speeds

Please note that the cost of this upgrade is $999.  If you can delay your upgrade to later in the year, though, there will be some attractive promotional offers.  Stay tuned for those announcements. 

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Samurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 4:29pm
-Improve control of pilot controlled lighting (PCL)?
please tell me there is a button i can just push that sends 5 pulses to the ctaf; You have no idea how many times i am button smashing trying to get the lights turned on :P
-Improve nav data update speeds
Thank GOD!
-

- Fixed error that caused keyboard display to be jumbled after individual IFDs are power cycled.
seen this too; good to see it fixed; I wonder if this will also fix the ADAHARs from locking up after a update. There are times where i update the nav and then the ADAHARS never align. I have to pull the breakers on both units, wait 20 seconds then power them up.

Also if possible, can you give me a time line on when this promotion window will open; I know you said Q2, but i imagine you have target dates and what not and can be a little more specific; I am kind of acting as your go between to the Cirrus Community (COPA) right now and getting a lot of responses (hence all the questions); There are a few people in annual right now that want to move forward but dont want to commit if you come back with some awesome deals. 

- Another question: the release notes do not specifically call out the Skytrax and just say that it supports devices that:
Support ARINC-735B traffic from an ADS-B receiver.
- Support ADS-B/FIS-B input at both approved FIS-B baud rates (38.4 and 115.2).

Does this mean that it will accept and display data from non avidyne devices such as the Lynx offerings or Garmin?

Edited by Samurai - 23 Feb 2018 at 8:05pm
RISCfuture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RISCfuture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:15pm
Excellent work, team! One question: What happened to TO/GA?
Tim Morgan, N171MA
2005 Cirrus SR22 Turbo G2 with Entegra R9
wwh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:35pm
AviSteve,

On 22 Jul 2016, AviJake stated "This release will also enable the Take Off/Go Around (TOGA) feature for R9-equipped Cirrus aircraft that have the DFC100 autopilot."
I see no mention of this in your Release Notes message dated 23 Feb 18.  Is this included or not?

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by RISCfuture RISCfuture wrote:

Excellent work, team! One question: What happened to TO/GA?
Originally posted by wwh wwh wrote:

AviSteve,

On 22 Jul 2016, AviJake stated "This release will also enable the Take Off/Go Around (TOGA) feature for R9-equipped Cirrus aircraft that have the DFC100 autopilot."
I see no mention of this in your Release Notes message dated 23 Feb 18.  Is this included or not?

Unfortunately, TO/GA did not make it into the 9.4 STC.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Samurai Samurai wrote:

Also if possible, can you give me a time line on when this promotion window will open; I know you said Q2, but i imagine you have target dates and what not and can be a little more specific; I am kind of acting as your go between to the Cirrus Community (COPA) right now and getting a lot of responses (hence all the questions); There are a few people in annual right now that want to move forward but dont want to commit if you come back with some awesome deals. 

We're not prepared to give further details on the promotion yet, but stay tuned...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Samurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 12:38pm
awww. while To/go would have been nice, i can see why it wouldn't make it into a major releases if there were to many other complicating factors; I think weather was the highest of high priority with the weather service being discontinued and really no other way of getting it in the plane without wasting money on temporary solution.
That being said; Where do we start putting a wish list of features or changes for the next version. I am hoping that R9 is still in development and that this isnt the last major release. 
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:17pm
Steve, My old contacts at Avidyne seem to have all left  Jared Butson and Bettina Barcliff. Any idea who I can talk to now re international sales and upgrading to 9.4?
Regards
Andrew
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by aoffen aoffen wrote:

Steve, My old contacts at Avidyne seem to have all left  Jared Butson and Bettina Barcliff. Any idea who I can talk to now re international sales and upgrading to 9.4?
Regards
Andrew
You should contact Steve Gubbins - sgubbins(at)avidyne.com.

Edited by AviSteve - 22 Mar 2018 at 9:41pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
wwh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:50pm
Has anyone installed 9.4 yet?  My avionics guy told me Avidyne was recommending holding off until several bugs were ironed out.
Bill Harness, N908SE
2006 Cirrus SR22 Turbo G2 with Entegra R9
aoffen View Drop Down
Release 9 Insiders
Release 9 Insiders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aoffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:55pm
Not me. I am kind of questioning if it is worth $1k. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by wwh wwh wrote:

Has anyone installed 9.4 yet?  My avionics guy told me Avidyne was recommending holding off until several bugs were ironed out.
There have been several installations of 9.4.  AFAIK, there are no bugs to iron out.  Early on there was an issue with getting the right nav data base from Jeppesen.  Don't blame them, it was our fault.  Maybe that was the root of that recommendation, but that's been resolved.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 3:55pm
Here's the official press release regarding 9.4 and ADS-B support.  Being insiders, you guys knew about this long ago so it's not necessarily news.  A list of FAQs has also been published.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 4:45pm
thanks Steve.
Samurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 5:48pm
Does this mean the Skytrax 100 will be back in stock soon or Are are you still developing the replacment hardware? 
I keep hearing 'oct' for some announcement. 
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 5:57am
The Skytrax 100 went out of production when NavWorx folded.  I don't see how it could ever be back in stock.

Samurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 12:54pm
from what i understand, avidyne bought the IP to the skytrax100 and were going to redesign it to have a 'certified GPS' source, which is why i believe navworx folded (there is some server bulletin somewhere);
So the idea of re-releasing it as a ver2 is not unheard of; Especially since its still on their website as something they sell. Otherwise i would imagine they would have a big 'discontinued' notice on the products page since its no longer available.
@AviSteve can you update us on what is going on? many many people want to know

Edited by Samurai - 01 Sep 2018 at 1:11pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Samurai Samurai wrote:

from what i understand, avidyne bought the IP to the skytrax100 and were going to redesign it to have a 'certified GPS' source, which is why i believe navworx folded (there is some server bulletin somewhere);
1) This is the first I've heard anything about Avidyne purchasing any assets from NavWorx.  Do you have a source for this?
2) SkyTrax100 does not have its own internal GPS--it gets its GPS position from the IFDxxx.
3) The NavWorx device that got it in trouble for not having an FAA-approved internal GPS source was not a SkyTrax100 or equivalent.  The SkyTrax100 is an ADSB-in device.  The problematic ADS600-B devices were ADSB-in/out transceivers.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 11:03am
The Skytrax100 is no longer available. Avidyne has not acquired the NavWorx IP. As a result, there can/will be no "version 2" based on that technology.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Samurai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 1:08pm
Sooo, 
Is there something coming from avidyne to replace it?
The 9.4 FAQ says that the SkyTrax100 is the only certified option. Are  you saying you are abandoning the R9 Platform for ADS-B in?
Also, i think you should update your products page to list it as discontinued.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic