Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 12:50pm
Yes, you'd have to create a user waypoint to be precise.

Sure would be nice to have XYZ-5 (5nm before XYZ) as an input dialog, then at least you'd have the waypoint quickly. One of the special waypoint formats that are in the request queue.

* Orest
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 12:56pm
I guess the other way of looking at it, is how often are you actually issued a HOLD, outside of training or IPCs. I have seen three "real" holds in many thousands of hours.

So it is rarely used, should it be a priority for the coders to work on? The counterpoint would be, as it is rare and seldom practiced, it perhaps should be as easy as possible.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 14 Aug 2020 at 12:59pm
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

you'd have to create a user waypoint to be precise.
Yes, by using FMS -> WPT, not by “eyeball” method.  FMS -> WPT is "Avidyne easy".
Originally posted by cavu cavu wrote:

You have to eyeball a point that is 5NM from the VOR. Odds are you will be off, can't change it on the FP, have to delete and re-enter, then there's getting right on the airway which is also not easy. Its not "Avidyne" easy.  If you do get the waypoint you can then put a hold there.

Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:50am
This has probably been mentioned before but it would be nice to have the IFD startup in the same data block display mode they were shut down (data blocks showing or not) or have a setting that gives the user the option to have the data blocks visible on startup or not.  Each time I start the IFDs, I go thru the MAP and SVS tabs on both IFDs to bring out the datablocks. It would be nice to not have to do this each time.
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:37pm
How about an aural warning option on the switch tanks timer?
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

This has probably been mentioned before but it would be nice to have the IFD startup in the same data block display mode they were shut down (data blocks showing or not) or have a setting that gives the user the option to have the data blocks visible on startup or not.  Each time I start the IFDs, I go thru the MAP and SVS tabs on both IFDs to bring out the datablocks. It would be nice to not have to do this each time.

I think this will fix that issue:

http://www.avidynelive.com/release-10-2-3-1_topic1688_post22119.html#22119
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:01am
skybum02, I believe that is a different issue with the datablocks being displaced to the bottom.  I’m speaking of the need to hit the tab to bring up the datablocks each time the IFDs startup.  For example, the map page comes up with no datablocks until the tab is touched to bring them in. 
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:21pm
I’d like to see a switch tanks alert based on gallons used (not time) and have the box automatically know the local time.

And a ding or chime when crossing a fix on approach.
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

skybum02, I believe that is a different issue with the datablocks being displaced to the bottom.  I’m speaking of the need to hit the tab to bring up the datablocks each time the IFDs startup.  For example, the map page comes up with no datablocks until the tab is touched to bring them in. 

Ahh, ok I agree.  
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 12:17am
after flying for a couple hours today.. thought of this about half way through the flight...

if you have the data window displayed on the Map, and “Nearest airfield” is one of your data fields, it would be nice if you tapped the nearest airfield data block and the IFD would give you the option to go direct to the nearest field.

After fooling around with the IFD- the only way I found that I could go direct to the nearest field was to see it on the map,  then tap the field and go direct there... or type in the identifier after hitting the direct button.  Is their an easier way?  Would love it if I could just tap the “nearest airfield” data block and it would give me an “activate direct to XXXX” option... would be handy if I lost my engine or something.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:03am
Originally posted by m016576 m016576 wrote:

after flying for a couple hours today.. thought of this about half way through the flight...

if you have the data window displayed on the Map, and “Nearest airfield” is one of your data fields, it would be nice if you tapped the nearest airfield data block and the IFD would give you the option to go direct to the nearest field.

After fooling around with the IFD- the only way I found that I could go direct to the nearest field was to see it on the map,  then tap the field and go direct there... or type in the identifier after hitting the direct button.  Is their an easier way?  Would love it if I could just tap the “nearest airfield” data block and it would give me an “activate direct to XXXX” option... would be handy if I lost my engine or something.

There are several ways to accomplish going direct to the nearest or another nearby airport that is not already in the active flight plan in addition to the technique you describe. On the IFD100 and IFD5XX, there is a dedicated NRST button that takes the respective device to the FMS NRST tab displaying nearest airports in distance order with one push. Successive pushes of the NRST button cycles to nearest airports to destination, VORs, NDBs, intersections, ARTCCs, FSSs, user waypoints, airspace, and then back to airports. On any IFD, nearest airports may be accessed by navigating to the FMS NRST tab; there is a LSK available on this tab to cycle to the other nearest lists if desired.

Once displaying the nearest airports, highlight the airport you wish to go direct to by either touching it or by rotating lower right knob, then press the direct to button and confirm. BTW - whatever is highlighted in the nearest list also graphically gets highlighted in blue on the map displayed next to the nearest list. You can also quickly put the tower/CTAF frequency for any of these airports in the standby VHF window by touching the appropriate frequency or by highlighting the appropriate airport and pressing the lower right knob. This same technique may be used to put nearest ATC, FSS, or VOR frequencies in their respective VHF standby windows.

Edited by dmtidler - 11 Oct 2020 at 10:20am
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 8:23pm
I think I posted this before, but on the IFD440, it would be nice if a long hold of the Direct Button would bring up Nearest FMS Tab.  
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:35pm
thanks.  I appreciate that their are “several ways to accomplish this”... but my suggestion for the new software version is based on an easier and intuitive method if you’ve already got the NRST point up in your data block.  Thanks though.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by m016576 m016576 wrote:

After fooling around with the IFD- the only way I found that I could go direct to the nearest field was to see it on the map,  then tap the field and go direct there... or type in the identifier after hitting the direct button.  Is their an easier way?
You're welcome; my reply was limited to responding to the only question in your post, not an opinion about your suggestion.
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:25pm
I'd like to have user defined callout with the 500' callout.  And be able to record my own callout message.
Like after the 500' callout be able to record "Check the gear stupid"
Don't ask why I want this.
JWJ
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:54am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Sorry Vince, I knew you'd be disappointed.  It's not just flight test, it also gets into the STC documentation, but still.  I don't really think it's a year away, but I suppose that's possible.

Re RF legs and 10.3, posted Jan 03 2019.

So here we are nearly 2 years later ... I guess Covid has had an impact on that, but still ... sigh

... and not a good omen for (ever) getting the GTN VNAV labels compatible with GFC500/600, considering the even if that makes it into 10.4 it is likely to be another 2 yrs once 10.3 is released.

Edited by chflyer - 22 Nov 2020 at 6:26am
Vince
Helf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 10:53pm
  • Add map auto-zoom, like the 530/430 had.
  • Allow fuel range ring to display, even where user has to input IAS, OAT, current fuel, and fuel flow.
  • Button ability to temporarily disable audible terrain and TAWS warnings
    • I heard it the first time and I know I am flying near mountains, but I need the IFD to stop nagging me so I can fly safely near mountains.

Edited by Helf - 04 Dec 2020 at 11:00pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 11:28pm
Agree with all!

Tom W.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Helf Helf wrote:

• Button ability to temporarily disable audible terrain and TAWS warnings
    • I heard it the first time and I know I am flying near mountains, but I need the IFD to stop nagging me so I can fly safely near mountains.
This function exists today.  Check the IFD Pinouts, there are a number of pins to support TAWS annunciation and inhibit.  You could simply wire up a switch for the inhibit function.

I am installing a mid continent MD41 (ebay purchase for $100 and easy to find) which is the TAWS annunciation and inhibit module that is approved to work with the IFD.  I have the same issues as you do.
Helf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 6:40pm
That's good to know, but it would be nice if a soft-keypress on the IFD allowed this as I am reluctant to add more panel hardware just to have that simple, easily-programmed (especially if it can already be hard-wired) function.
Still on my 10.3 wish list :)
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 7:50pm
Can you run it through the ADF button on your audio panel?
Bob
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 11:10pm

• Add map auto-zoom, like the 530/430 had.

As long as it is optional. That auto-zoom would drive me nuts.

* Orest
Helf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 11:12pm
It oughta be exactly what is on the 530s and 430s.
It would be manually selected by turning the knob below the lowest manual range setting.
When flying in busy terminal areas, this is essential. I was surprised it was not originally available.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

As long as it is optional. That auto-zoom would drive me nuts.

* Orest

+1

Edited by AviSteve - 07 Dec 2020 at 9:09am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 12:24am

It oughta be exactly what is on the 530s and 430s.
It would be manually selected by turning the knob below the lowest manual range setting.
When flying in busy terminal areas, this is essential. I was surprised it was not originally available.

It is my own preference, to have a constant scale on the map. I find it of advantage for positional SA at a quick glance. If the unit twiddled the scale, I would lose that orientation. Personally I might see a role for auto scale enroute, but never in the arrivals or approach phase, especially if it is busy.

Interesting how different folks use their equipment differently.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Dec 2020 at 5:35pm
steve.crimm@stephens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve.crimm@stephens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:46am
Originally posted by rpostmo rpostmo wrote:

Can you run it through the ADF button on your audio panel?
Bob

I recently added it to the DME audio switch on my PMA-7000BT audio panel, I had run out of non switched inputs.  And I turn it off and on as desired.

Edited by steve.crimm@stephens - 07 Dec 2020 at 10:47am
Vans RV-10
PMA7000BT
IFD440
Dynon Skyview HDX
ReidJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReidJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 11:20am
I'm considering adding a GFC500 autopilot to our panel that already has an IFD540 and IFD440.  Will 10.3 fix the issue where the autopilot steers off course after the FAF on an RNAV approach?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:16am
A setting already exists that fixes that issue.  It's called "Appr Roll Steer" in Maintenance Mode.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
admittedly, i haven't read all 9 pages:
Is there a date target for release of 10.3?
Bonanza F33a
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:47am
No announced date yet, sorry.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bill CFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill CFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 12:57pm
The pilot must almost always reset the Map View option after startup!
The IFD540 or IFD100 needs to be reset to the presentation you are use to!

Heading Up or Track Up (360)
Heading Up or Track Up (240 arc view)
North Up (360)

So the IFDs only have a 33% Chance of getting it right on startup.
It be Great if the IFDs could remember the previous Setting!
Bill Schwabenton CFI-I
Beechcraft BE33
Aspen 1000 IFD540 Century 2000
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 6:38am
For clarity, I presume the Appr Roll Steer setting should be Enabled?   The latest IM I have is Rev 17 and it’s not featured; is there a later one I can download?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:35am
That setting controls whether GPSS roll steering is output during FMS approaches.  it should be set to "Disabled" for autopilots that will fly GPSS during approach mode.  That will force the autopilot to use Left/Right deviation data.

Edited by AviSteve - 29 Jan 2021 at 11:36am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:16am
How about fixing the twin fuel flow page?  It sums both engines fuel flow readings.  Please display the fuel flow for each engine sperately on twins
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Bill CFI Bill CFI wrote:

The pilot must almost always reset the Map View option after startup!
The IFD540 or IFD100 needs to be reset to the presentation you are use to!

Heading Up or Track Up (360)
Heading Up or Track Up (240 arc view)
North Up (360)

So the IFDs only have a 33% Chance of getting it right on startup.
It be Great if the IFDs could remember the previous Setting!

+1

Most IFR pilots use Heading Up or Track Up, not North Up. It's a real pain having to change North Up to Heading Up after every startup, especially since this can only be done in MAP mode, not FMS mode.

Edited by chflyer - 19 Mar 2021 at 6:24am
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic