Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TA Exclusionary Zones? Different in 10.3??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TA Exclusionary Zones? Different in 10.3??
    Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 12:00am
I’m not sure but something sure seems different after the 10.3 upgrade.  I get the yellow all over my screen on takeoff and in the traffic pattern.  I have TA Exclusionary Zones turned on.

I don’t recall this much yellow (or any) prior to the update.  I’m not getting aural warnings around the airport, so I think the exclusion zones are working.  Is it supposed to show all that yellow around the airport?  It makes the map almost completely unreadable.

afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 12:51am
My obsevations:
1. The GPS indication is yellow.
  Possibly no GPS position lock or no active flightplan.  Either situation will cause this indication.

With no position, then IFD can’t know where it is.
With no flightplan, I recall that some of the IFD logic requires a origin and destination waypoint for this to work.

If I have missed the mark, someone will come along and correct me.
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 8:47am
Avidyne changed the solid yellow TA display (terrain between 500’-1000’ below the aircraft for airplanes) to this yellow pattern and did a similar change with the solid red TA display (terrain between 500’ below to above the aircraft for airplanes) in AviOS 10.3. 
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 8:47am
This is Terrain Awareness. It is showing a hatched yellow overlay on the map because you are less than 1,000 feet above the ground. You can turn on/off Terrain Awareness in the Setup tab.
Check out the 5XX Pilot Guide page 4-42 (PDF Page 198).
Pilot Guides can be found in this Knowledge Base article.
Mike Salmon
Technical Marketing Manager
Avidyne Corporation
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:05am
Yes, I realized that it is terrain awareness.  I looked at my prior configuration before the upgrade and I had TA set to ON.  I just don't recall seeing the same amount of yellow when arriving or departing from an airport.  I know the exclusionary zone will prevent the aural alerts, but does it (or did it used to) eliminate the yellow indication on the screen?  

I very well may be remembering it wrong, but I just don't recall seeing all that yellow on takeoff and landing like I'm seeing now.

Edited by pburger - 06 Sep 2022 at 9:05am
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:17am
dmtidler:  Ahhhh.... That may be it.  Maybe it was simply solid yellow, and the hatched pattern is what seems different to me.  This seems to make sense.  The hatched pattern really sucks because it makes the screen almost impossible to read.  Now that traffic is available via WIFI, I have traffic on the screen, but it is almost impossible to see it through that yellow hatched pattern.  Of course I could just climb out of it...
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:40am
No, dmtidler, I don't think that's it, after all.  I checked the old pilot guide (10.2.1), and it mentions "yellow hatched indications", so I don't think the presentation has changed.  I think that the exclusionary zones are not working the same.  It's excluding the aural alerts, but somehow not excluding the visual indications.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 11:38am
On AviOS 10.2.6.1 and before, the yellow (and red) TA hatching was much tighter and made the TA coloring almost appear solid:

Starting with AviOS 10.3, the yellow (and red) TA hatching is much coarser:

Edited by dmtidler - 06 Sep 2022 at 11:39am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 11:53am
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

I’m not sure but something sure seems different after the 10.3 upgrade.... I don’t recall this much yellow (or any) prior to the update.
Here's a picture from a 440 loaded with 10.2.6.1.  The texture is different, but it's still yellow...

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 11:54am
LOL, dmtidler beat me to it.  At least it's consistent :)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 11:55am
dmtidler:

Thanks for that.  I wanted to try that, but I didn't have a copy of the old trainer to try!    I really don't like the new depiction.  It makes the screen almost unreadable.  Oh well...

Edited by pburger - 06 Sep 2022 at 11:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic