Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TAS600 Systems and ADS-B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TAS-A display question (for Avidyne)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

You don't need the Lynx's extra-cost diversity option with a small GA aircraft.  One antenna works fine.  As it does for the 345 as well, I assume.  

The 345 of course lacks a display screen, so they are not strictly speaking equivalent products.  On the Lynx, the screen permits it to display traffic (at shorter display range) and weather while your other display(s) is set to something else (longer range, for instance).  If it's within the budget, the Lynx screen is worth the extra cost and provides redundancy as well.

How many screens do you need? As I said before, which system is best for you will depend on other installed equipment.

If you have a GPS navigator, or two, a PFD (like an Aspen perhaps), one or two iPads, and maybe an MFD as well, you can display all the data that the GTX345 has to offer anywhere you like, and on a much larger display than the little L3 Lynx screen. Of course, if you have one or more of the above options you may display the Lynx data on them as well - which makes the Lynx screen kind of unnecessary in that case.

The GTX345 has internal AHARS - the Lynx does not. With the internal WAAS option and an iPad running the Garmin Pilot or Foreflight app, the GTX345 may act as a completely independent/redundant GPS navigator with backup attitude indicator and synthetic vision on a larger display than even the largest panel mount GPS's have to offer. The GTX is also available as a remote mounted option.

So, if you don't have an alternative display or want an active traffic option at a premium price, the Lynx may be for you if you have the panel space to mount it where you can see it. The GTX offers an alternative feature set that the Lynx does not, but does not have an internal active traffic option.

Both the IFD and the GTN navigators can display traffic and weather data from either unit - but the IFD cannot control the remote mounted version of the GTX.

One is only better than the other depending on your needs and other available equipment.   

Edited by Stiletto1 - 12 Aug 2018 at 6:37am
C310C
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Stiletto1 Stiletto1 wrote:

How many screens do you need?
I don't need any.  I was trained on steam gauges.

The GTX345 has internal AHARS
How many AHARS do you need?
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 9:39am

I too was trained on steam gauges some 40+ years ago - but such a comment is irrelevant to this discussion since we are talking about the depiction of traffic awareness on a screen.

As to the number of AHARS you may need, again, it depends on installed equipment. If you are glass panel equipped the answer may be two, unless you are maintaining a sucky-gyro for backup attitude.

If you are only steam gauge equipped, how many sucky-pumps do you "need"? My plane has two, both soon to be relegated to back up AI status only... :)

Edited by Stiletto1 - 12 Aug 2018 at 9:42am
C310C
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 3:21pm

I too was trained on steam gauges some 40+ years ago - but such a comment is irrelevant to this discussion since we are talking about the depiction of traffic awareness on a screen.

I thought your question about screens was irrelevant, but rather than make that accusation, I just answered it truthfully. 

As to the number of AHARS you may need, again, it depends on installed equipment.

You took my question too seriously, it was just a play on yours.  Mine was intended to be just as irrelevant.

What we all "need" in GA is nothing less than airliner equipment with the attendant training with multiple screens and AHRS.  But get real.

What we actually settle for in GA is what we can afford.  The additional features of the Lynx 9000+ was in my budget, so I got it.  I did not buy a Phenom 100, because it wasn't - I didn't "need" it.  But I'm not going to seriously question a Phenom owner whether he "needs" it.  It clearly has some additional features over what I'm flying.  If it was in my budget, I would "need" those features too.

It's all a matter of personal choice, of course.  As it should be.  Get the facts about the products, then decide what's right for you.  
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 6:13pm

You took my question too seriously, it was just a play on yours.  Mine was intended to be just as irrelevant.

Yes. "Sucky-gauges" was a very serious comment on my part.

What we actually settle for in GA is what we can afford.  The additional features of the Lynx 9000+ was in my budget, so I got it. 

I guess I don't just buy stuff cuz I could.

It's all a matter of personal choice, of course.  As it should be.  Get the facts about the products, then decide what's right for you.

Which brings us back full circle to my original point when I entered this discussion to correct some of those "facts" you were spewing about one being better than the other.
C310C
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 6:43pm

Which brings us back full circle to my original point when I entered this discussion to correct some of those "facts" you were spewing about one being better than the other.

Rather than get into the mud with you, I'll not make any further comments.  I'll let what I've said, and the language you have used, speak for itself.
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:40pm

Originally posted by Melohn Melohn wrote:

Originally posted by Melohn Melohn wrote:

I had a Skywatch, and decided on a 345 for ADS-B In/Out. Interfacing the Skywatch to the 345 was straightforward, and provides the same TAS+TIS-B dual frequency capability as the Lynx 9000+ at significantly less expense. Right now, I’m seeing TAS on my EX5000, and merged TAS+TIS-B on my navigator. With MFD 8.2, I’ll have both on my MFD. Thanks Avidyne!

Interesting, but need a little more info to evaluate for general application.  

Is your Skywatch TAS output now routed to the 345 only, or does it connect to both the MFD and 345?

What's the model of navigator you have that displays your 345 output?

The TAS is currently connected to both the 345 and the MFD. With release 8.2, I’ll be able to connect the MFD to the 345, which should then display converged traffic (TAS+TIS-B+dual mode ADS-B direct reception). I’m currently seeing converged traffic on my iPad in ForeFlight, and on my 430W navigator. I’m likely to upgrade that navigator to an IFD or a GTN at some point, both of which should work.

So you have Skywatch traffic on your MFD with 8.1, which we all know is a compatible combination.  But, do you know whether anyone has confirmed that the 345 traffic output will be compatible with the MFD with 8.2? I ask, because once you connect the 345 to the MFD, the Skywatch connection will have to come off.  You can't have both at the same time feeding the MFD. 

Also, do you whether anyone has confirmed the 345 traffic output would be compatible with an IFD?  (No question it would be if you put in a 650 of course.)  It seems these Garmin-Avidyne compatibility assumptions at times have not worked out despite promises.  Just wondering if there is any real-world confirmation of the compatibility of these combinations. 

Several people interested in MFD release 8.2 are interested in the answers to those questions. Once a release document or spec sheet is available, hopefully we’ll know. I’ve heard that both IFD to 345 integration and 345 to EX5000 has been tested by Avidyne, but I don’t know of anyone who has connected either or both in a production setting, at least so far. I know Garmin won’t test or support either.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:23pm
Interoperability....

we should be demanding this, or at least accountability about what works (or doesn't work) with what...
David Gates
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:07am

Rather than get into the mud with you, I'll not make any further comments.  I'll let what I've said, and the language you have used, speak for itself.

Salute!
C310C
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:35pm
Flight today with Transponder configured to maximize my TAS605-A for its new VeriTas firmware:  1090=Yes, 978=No, and noticed something very surprising...

. IFD540 #1 configured for Ryan TCAS
. IFD540 #2 configured for Skytrax100 (aka MLB100)
. dual Aspens display 1090 everything (TAS & ADS-B. R) via ARNC429

So, IFD540 #2 showed expected very few primary 978-In air-to-air ADS-B - UAT Format
IFD540 #1 and Aspens showed lots of 1090 targets (TAS, ADS-B, R, air-to-air) - Legacy Format.

The surprise was that my iPad FlyQ displayed Lots of targets, all in UAT Format... like all the 1090 targets with same "N" numbers as on IFD540 #1, but in UAT Format.

I am thinking that somehow all targets get into the IFD's-WiFi Stream and are ported across to the iPad FlyQ.  Not sure how this is so, but it is very nice to see all targets translated by FlyQ into UAT format (Speed Vectors, etc).

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 10 Jan 2019 at 10:38pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:20pm
Catani -

Very long and helpful thread...
So,
1.  Using the Lynx9000+ or GTX345, will the 540 integrate FIS-B Wx/Metar Airport info, etc like I have now from the Skytrax (MLB)?

2.  Will 540's display the 345 composite traffic on our 540's using external TAS605A (which now includes 1090-In ADS-B -the "A" - as well as TAS traffic?

Insight appreciated.

Tom Wolf 

Edited by n7ifr - 16 Apr 2019 at 8:22pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:21am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Catani -

Very long and helpful thread...
So,
1.  Using the Lynx9000+ or GTX345, will the 540 integrate FIS-B Wx/Metar Airport info, etc like I have now from the Skytrax (MLB)?

2.  Will 540's display the 345 composite traffic on our 540's using external TAS605A (which now includes 1090-In ADS-B -the "A" - as well as TAS traffic?

Insight appreciated.

Tom Wolf 

Tom --
I don't have a GTX345 so can't tell you what it displays on a 540.  Nor do I have a Skytrax so that I could make a comparison between what it displays and what a Lynx 9000+ displays.

I can tell you that Avidyne has tried to make it possible for the IFD's to import traffic and ADS-B weather from the Lynx 9000, and have succeeded to a point.  Additional compatibility is expected with the pending 10.2.3.1 IFD software update.  But frankly, to me, the Lynx itself displays that data adequately, so it's not been much of a concern to me that the IFD is not yet fully compatible.  Perhaps when it is, I might find it more useful.  Certainly, for someone using a remote mounted Lynx 9000, IFD compatibility would be of greater significance.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:34am
Catani -

So, the 540's allow for very user friendly/fast access integration to Wx Info at any Apt... especially easy for quick viewing of Destination Metars, etc.

Once you have this available, you will be spoiled, and wouldn't want to do extra knob-ology to see Wx on the Lynx, etc.!  

The info comes in on the RS232 stream from my MLB/Skytrax100, so I would think same stream from Lynx or GTX...

Tom W.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 12:45pm
Catani & Orest -

What is the expected integration improvement to our X40 with v10.2.3.1 with: Lynx+ or GTX345 + TAS(A)?

Has anybody with either Lynx+ or GTX345 looked at the x40 Airport Information page to see if the Metars (FIS-B) info displays there?  

Does this part of the ADSB Wx Info actually make it to the Info Page (RS232 input)???

Looking to upgrade...

Tom W.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic