Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Software Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lammphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Software Recommendation
    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:15pm
Hi,

I'm currently deciding between an IFD 540/440 stack and the Garmin equivalent for my Cessna 210M.  Each has its deficiencies, but the one that seems simplest to correct on your side is how the screen is utilized...

Does Avidyne have an update in work which would allow the map to fill the entire screen?  Fully 25% of the screen is permanently devoted to frequency and other non-flight-critical information along the left side.  Makes the effective display area much smaller than that of the Garmin, which is a huge detractor and misuse of real estate imho.

Looking to purchase this summer.  Please let me know!

Thanks, Phil

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm
It appears that the GTN 750 permanently devotes a portion of its sceen to NAV/COM frequencies and other information, as well.  I am willing to bet that is a regulatory requirement (at least as to the radio functions) and not something that can be changed.

I like that I can display up to four NAV or COM frequencies at a time on the IFD 540 (I currently use three of each and may move to four if in busier airspace).  I also use and display the customizable data block strip on the right side which further occupies screen real estate but in a way I consider well worth the sacrifice.

Certainly the GTN 750 has a larger screen.  This is not so much an issue for me because I use a yoke-mounted 10.5" iPad Pro for charts, traffic, weather and moving map.  With the IFD 100 app, that screen real estate is also available for displaying the IFD functions on the iPad.

The Avidyne products also use a flat menu system unlike the multi-layer menu system that Garmin uses.  And, as I'm sure you've already heard from others, the knobs plus touch screen can give the IFD's a leg up in bumpy weather.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 01 Mar 2019 at 3:32pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:28pm
The GTN750 devotes a section on the top of the screen to radio frequencies. It also devotes some of the real estate at the bottom for various soft keys. It looks to me like the map area is about the same size in the IFD540 and GTN750. I am not as familiar with the smaller version of these devices (440 and 650). 

With the IFDs, you can expand the screen to an iPad using the IFD100 app. 

I MUCH prefer the IFD operating logic. I also like the buttons when it gets bumpy up in the air. It makes a big difference. I am very happy with my IFD540. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:53am
Originally posted by lammphil lammphil wrote:

Does Avidyne have an update in work which would allow the map to fill the entire screen?
We could never get rid of the radio blocks, but I suppose we could hide the button labels sort of like we hide the page tabs.  But the direct answer is that we have no current plans to change the map layout.  I think the best solution to your concern, at this point, would be to utilize the IFD100 to present a bigger map.  I could go on and on about why I think the IFD would be a much better choice than the GTN, including the direct link into the company provided by this forum.  But I think the other unsolicited customer testimonials here will be far more useful than anything I could say!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:50am
All of the above, plus the screen resolution is so good that a big screen really isn't as critical as it once was.  I find the IFD screen eminently usable and I like having other information available at just a quick glance, which sometimes is more meaningful than a picture.  The screen size dropped way down on my priority list after comparing the features of the GTN vs IFD.
Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:11pm
Totally agree with all these points and as Steve said, the IFD 100 is like having another IFD in your plane for free!!  You can use that without the data blocks exposed if you'd like to see more real estates but as others have said, I never find myself wishing the screen was larger.
lammphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lammphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 12:51pm
Thanks, All! Them's a lot of solid endorsements. Note I'm not a big fan of Garmin, anyway, as they're the reason I'm having to update my otherwise competent UPSAT stack in the first place. (They told me last year they can no longer support IFR database updates effective this June. Given the 20 year old tech, I'm not surprised, but they could have at least offered me a discounted upgrade path.) Plus Garmin doesn't seem to focus on B-to-B cooperation like Avidyne does, given all the reports I'm hearing of "not our problem" with box compatibility after avionics get put in. As I already have an Aspen Evolution 1500 installed, I'd take comfort in knowing Avidyne has my back!
Alouicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alouicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm
You will not be disappointed with Avidyne!  
The options available for display are fascinating:  Screen size is a minor factor.  
With the free upgrades to the firrmware, it's always getting better, too.  Attitude of the company got me away from G, having swapped from 530W/430W to IFD540 & IFD440.
Good luck! and Best wishes!

Be happy! Your choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic