Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyway to config/force non-precision RNAV IAP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyway to config/force non-precision RNAV IAP?
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:59am
If the pilot just flies the non-precision path (dive and drive) then the vertical guidance bar will be biased out of view most of the time anyway.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Sorry? How would you then suggest practicing LNAV approaches if none are nearby except when RAIM degrades LPV to LNAV? I don't see how this is a liability issue. It is a configuration parameter just like any other. I've been told that it can be easily done on GTN boxes for this purpose.

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions.

This is the lawyer side of me thinking of the ways this could go bad.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:20pm
Sorry? How would you then suggest practicing LNAV approaches if none are nearby except when RAIM degrades LPV to LNAV? I don't see how this is a liability issue. It is a configuration parameter just like any other. I've been told that it can be easily done on GTN boxes for this purpose.

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions.
Vince
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Thanks Steve. Not something one would want to do in flight, but ok on the ground before a practice flight. Will give it a try. Would be nice to have a user setup option that could be turned on/off during flight..... perhaps as a suggestion for a future release.

How could this possibly be a good thing in a certified box?  This has the smell of liability all over it, and I would be very surprised to see liability-adverse Avidyne agree to this.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:31am
Thanks Steve. Not something one would want to do in flight, but ok on the ground before a practice flight. Will give it a try. Would be nice to have a user setup option that could be turned on/off during flight..... perhaps as a suggestion for a future release.
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:08pm
Disclaimer - I haven't actually tried this, but it should work...  Go into Maintenance Mode and exclude the EGNOS satellites (on the GPS Setup page under the Config tab).  EGNOS satellite numbers are 120, 124, and 126.  You can also change the antenna type to non-WAAS (I guess we should really change that to "non-SBAS").

Don't forget to change excluded satellites back to zero when you are done practicing.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:17pm
Does anyone know a way to set up the IFD to force a non-precision RNAV approach? That is, if the standard RNAV approach is LPV, is there a way to turn off the EGNOS (in Europe) so that an LNAV approach is presented/flown rather than the LPV? I haven't been able to find any way to manually reduce the RAIM for the IFD so that the LNAV version of an approach (i.e. without glideslope) is presented rather than the LPV version.

This would be very useful for practicing non-precision RNAV approaches.

Edited by chflyer - 12 May 2019 at 5:18pm
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic