Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Dimming after Database Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Dimming after Database Update
    Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 2:08pm
Since my IFD440's were updated to 10.3.1.2 I have a persistent and annoying problem

after I update the Nav and Obstacle databases on any cycle the IFD's reboot and they're both Dim, instead of being full brightness. I have to do the dance to "Download logs" and reboot into maitenance mode then go to the dimming screen and then they pop to full brightness and work from then out for every reboot until I do the next update. Every single time I have to do this dance.

To begin with there was a PIN on the settings so I ran the reset procedure and now the values shown in the config screen is correct, and all I have to do is go to that page, I don't have to change anything then it all just works. 

Any ideas, it's not unworkable but it's an annoying extra step every DB update.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 2:25pm
I'd suggest starting with setting the lighting page to a known good configuration just in case something is FUBAR there.  Below is what I'm using in my IFD440 which I got it from somebody on this forum and tweaked it slightly for my tastes.

gremlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 2:39pm
@PA23 appreciate that and will double check, I actually use DIMBUS not photocell on mine, and as I said above it works entirely, until a DB update, then it fails, and simply swapping to that page it will all work again until the next DB update, I don't actually have to change anything. 
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 9:31pm
Just chiming in to say to say that I have this exact same problem. Dimming works as configured/expected until you do a database update. Then it breaks until you just go back into maintenance mode and look at the lighting page. Then it fixes everything back up again until the next database update. I made a video today of me reproducing the issue and will be opening a support case.
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 3:12pm
I guess I'll wait to see the video, but that's certainly an odd one.  I load databases all the time and haven't noticed such behavior.  Do you both have the same database coverage?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I guess I'll wait to see the video, but that's certainly an odd one.  I load databases all the time and haven't noticed such behavior.  Do you both have the same database coverage?

Check out case #PS00134823 and I've included a google drive link with the video. I just double checked my coverage and it's listed as North America.
gremlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 4:25pm
Same North America, happens every single time, there's a discussion on the Cirrus forums and three of us currently have exactly this behaviour. I have not seen the video from Jimmz80 but his repro steps are the same as mine. And it happens every single time to both IFD's.

I even tried reformatting the key I used for the IFD's in case it had a left over config file that was tripping it up, same result.
gremlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 4:49pm
@AViSteve So one thing that came up on the COPA forums the units that are doing this are possibly all using "DimBus" and not "Photocell" for the dimmer, what's your demo unit using?
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 8:54pm
I have also seen this behavior... after the DB update, I would go back into the configuration page to the lighting section and, when I landed on that section, the screen would light back up... its almost like landing on that section "resets" the configuration somewhere within the IFD... flaky. 

I ended up switching to "photocell" vs. the "dimming bus" and that seems to have helped a bit.  

Doug
N208LG
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 9:11am
Originally posted by gremlin gremlin wrote:

@AViSteve So one thing that came up on the COPA forums the units that are doing this are possibly all using "DimBus" and not "Photocell" for the dimmer, what's your demo unit using?
I usually keep it on manual, so I'll have to give it a try using the dimming bus.

Edited by AviSteve - 09 Sep 2024 at 9:12am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
gremlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 11:48am
That would be great to test, it does seem to be common, and I much prefer to have control over it and have it match the other instruments as it has since I bought them.
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2024 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by gremlin gremlin wrote:

That would be great to test, it does seem to be common, and I much prefer to have control over it and have it match the other instruments as it has since I bought them.

Same here, since everything in the Cirrus is controlled from the dimming bus. It's nice to have the IFDs follow along as well, vs. having them do their own thing based on a photocell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic