Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to renew my nav/data plan....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to renew my nav/data plan....
    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 6:58am
I just got my renewal invoice from Jep, it's going up about $100 from last year. I have an IFD440 and do the bundle so I can get data for the IFD100, it'll now be right at $700 for the year. That's without charts! Sure wish I could get Geo-ref charts on my IFD100 with this, I could then at least eliminate Garmin Pilot.

Does any know if Jep does discounts at Sun n Fun? 
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 7:01am
I believe there is a $50 discount at any airshow that Jepp attends.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 8:50am
What coverage area do you subscribe to?
Bob
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:07pm
Full USA
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 4:56pm
I just got my quote as well... except it was for about $1300!!!! I have an IFD540.  

George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:23pm
Why so much?  I just paid my subscription and it was $491 for US coverage.  Are you getting approach charts too?
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by George P George P wrote:

Why so much?  I just paid my subscription and it was $491 for US coverage.  Are you getting approach charts too?

I have no freaking clue, and this is why I ABSOLUTELY HATE that we have to use Jeppessen for this stuff.  I have no idea what I am getting with these jerks, and have no idea what I even need.   When I called them, I told them I had an IFD540 and she said this was all they had available and that was the price.  

Jeppessen are absolute scumbags when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Here is a photo of the invoice they sent me a couple days ago:

Edited by CubedRoot - 03 Apr 2019 at 6:34pm
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:49pm
I just looked at my invoice.  It shows:

Revision Service 28 days annual
NavData.IFR.Coverage.Avidyne.IFD540 Full USA
30 Apr. 19 through 30 Apr. 20

It is Item Number 10502544, Price $491

I do not get the Jeppesen approach charts for the IFD540 as I find them pretty useless on the small IFD540 screen.  I use NOS charts from Foreflight which are georeferenced and a readable size on my IPad.  I suppose I would prefer Jeppesen charts but the cost is prohibitive.  I agree that Jeppesen customer service is abysmal.  Wish there was an alternative.
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:41am
Mine is the nav/obsticle IFD440 bundle. I think you can only get data on the IFD100 by doing the "bundle". 
I would actually like to get updated charts on the IFD100, then I wouldn't have to go between the IFD100 and Flyq to see my charts. My charts on my IFD100 app are out of date and have the not for navigation watermark on them.
Dean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 6:12pm
I am also frustrated with the cost of Jepps. What would it take for Avidyne modify the software to be able use NACO data form Seattle Avionics?
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:13pm
I'm new to the IFDs and looked up Jepp while I was at SunNFun. Their computers were down and they really couldn't tell me anything. I had heard we get 2 free months with the IFD purchase but Jepp folks didn't know that nor could they quote me a subscription price. You would think that's pretty basic stuff.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I am also frustrated with the cost of Jepps. What would it take for Avidyne modify the software to be able use NACO data form Seattle Avionics?
It's a much bigger job than you would think.  We have other more important stuff to be working on - like RF legs - right Vince (chflyer)?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 9:29pm
I updated at Sun n Fun. The guy that helped me was not too knowledgeable but determined that there is now a IFD 540 bundle with nav and obstacles. Priced both 440 bundle and 540 bundle. Both were $685.
Which is a $95 increase from last year. Savings at Sun n Fun was two additional months.
I believe that the $491 price is for nav data only, may have to go back to that if they keep increasing the bundle price.

Craig
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Craig767 Craig767 wrote:

I updated at Sun n Fun. The guy that helped me was not too knowledgeable but determined that there is now a IFD 540 bundle with nav and obstacles. Priced both 440 bundle and 540 bundle. Both were $685.
Which is a $95 increase from last year. Savings at Sun n Fun was two additional months.
I believe that the $491 price is for nav data only, may have to go back to that if they keep increasing the bundle price.

Craig

I wonder what adding charts to that would cost?  I do enjoy having the taxi diagrams on my IFD540, and I *Think* I need chart data to have that.  

Does that $685 bundle include the data needed for the IFD100 app?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 5:01am
Absolutely right Steve!

Edited by chflyer - 07 Apr 2019 at 5:47am
Vince
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

Originally posted by Craig767 Craig767 wrote:

Craig

I wonder what adding charts to that would cost?  I do enjoy having the taxi diagrams on my IFD540, and I *Think* I need chart data to have that.  

Does that $685 bundle include the data needed for the IFD100 app?

Yes bundle is all that is needed for IFD100. 

Craig
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:34pm
Don’t expect approach charts on the IFD100 if you don’t get them in a bundle from Jepp. The $685 bundle doesn’t include them.
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:44pm
Any idea on what a "bundle" that has charts, nav and obstacles normally costs?  It seems like 1400 a year that am paying to be a bit....high.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:49pm
I believe it depends on the coverage you want and the number of devices you want the charts to be used on. I have full US but not any of Canada and 2 devices only and I think I was at about $1100.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:38pm
I prefer to just get nav and obstacles for my IFD540. I use ForeFlight on my iPad. if I wanted Jepp charts, I’d get a subscription through ForeFlight. I find the screen on the panel is not large enough for the charts to be really useful to me. 
Alouicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alouicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 10:00pm
For a 540 & 440 'bundle' with charts, 14 month (continental US only) subscription at SnF was $940.30, same as last year, but that was less than the year before ($1011.30) due to Garmin having some sort of competition for something.
Jacob Johnson took the order: Senior Customer (Service) guy.   He said emails to captain@jeppesen.com went to only him and his assistant.
Try him for the real deal, though SnF is over, he may help...
Good luck!

Edited by Alouicious - 07 Apr 2019 at 10:03pm
Be happy! Your choice.
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:29am
I did the same for my 440 but $411 for east cost (including Texas) no charts, as 440 cant use them (I use Foreflight charts anyway). 14 months (two free).
Claude
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

Originally posted by George P George P wrote:

I have no freaking clue, and this is why I ABSOLUTELY HATE that we have to use Jeppessen for this stuff.  I have no idea what I am getting with these jerks, and have no idea what I even need.   When I called them, I told them I had an IFD540 and she said this was all they had available and that was the price.  

Jeppessen are absolute scumbags when it comes to this sort of stuff.
I find this appalling. Jepp just doesn't seem to train their people. Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck in dealing with them. I was given an "al la carte" menu of options and was able to choose only what I wanted. Others here with the 540 who didn't want charts could get the 440 package without charts at a lower price. At Sun-N-Fun last year, I was given a price sheet by one rep. but was told by another that it was out of date and no longer accurate. This level of incompetence is inexcusable. Their website is impossible to navigate to understand packages and pricing. To pay an invoice online, you can't just go to your account, you have to enter the account number, invoice number, and the amount owed. It's as if they have no record of the invoice.

I have:

1. East/Central US NAV (Don't need full US) $404.00
2. NE US Charts $358.00 (Don't do much flying out of the NE and can get a trip kit when I do.)
3. I get IFD100 automatically with the above. No need for some kind of "bundle".

There is no need for terrain as it hasn't changed since 2015. I don't subscribe to obstacles, but rather update periodically as I feel necessary.

I think you should call Jepp back and escalate the issue of having been mislead by an untrained customer service rep. Then go for what you actually want and need. Good luck.
Bob
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:53pm
I just got my Jepp renewal Invoice.  

NavData East / Central US - IFR  IFD540        $274   x2   = $548.  

I'd have to look and see what I paid last year.  I usually renew at Osh or S&F, but I forgot at S&F. 

What does a trip tick cost?   

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 16 Apr 2019 at 1:54pm
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:05pm
Hmm.. why the heck is everyone getting soooo many different prices for the same stuff?

This is what is completely frustrating.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:05am
Because "They" (jepp) are a "sales" team, not an open store. If they were to post the prices, then some peoples commissions would go down, and others would not make their quotas. JMO
Sauce
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

I just got my Jepp renewal Invoice.  

NavData East / Central US - IFR  IFD540        $274   x2   = $548.  

I'd have to look and see what I paid last year.  I usually renew at Osh or S&F, but I forgot at S&F. 

What does a trip tick cost?   

Ken

My IFD 550 renewal (due next month) is $404 for the NavData East/Central. I wonder is the $274 price because you have 2 or would it be worth making a call to see if I can get it cheaper.
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
That is supposed to be "the bundle" price for mulitples.  But, I have never actually seen it be cheaper that the price for one, times two.   

Who knows?  

I am a bit frustrated that I can't get plates on the IFD-100 without spending a LOT more $$$.   (More than a foreflight IFR subscription costs).     WAY more. 

Which makes the IFD-100 kind of pointless.   

I end up just running foreflight and not using the IFD-100 at all. 

Ken

arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:46am
The IFD 100 app in my plane is on a 2nd ipad (panel mounted) and typically has the moving map view with weather displayed. The large screen allows me to see a bigger picture of my flight. If I'm IMC and choose to put the 550 in Synthetic vision then the IFD 100 comes in very handy for that moving map / FMS display.

I've never really wanted charts on any IFD device. I'll stick with foreflight on the yoke Ipad for that.
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:31am
Point taken.  I'll give it another try. 

ken

Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:06am
I only get the nav data package from Jeppesen.  My thought process on this is as follows:

The obstruction database changes very slowly.  Even so, as long as you are IFR, you are going to be above MVA and no new obstruction will be tall enough to challange that. If I'm VFR, I still have 2 iPads with Foreflight on them that have current obstructions.

The terrain database really does not change either.

My IFD540 is in the center stack and is not very practical for using charts on it as it is hard to see the detail needed for an approach.  I always display the approach plates on my iPad which is at eye level so I don't have to have my head down.

So, as I said, I only subscribe to the nav data and my annual bill is now due at $404.  At any time I think I need a database update, I can do it then.  So far, I haven't felt the need.
Woo Hoo!!!
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

It's a much bigger job than you would think.  We have other more important stuff to be working on - like RF legs - right Vince (chflyer)?
Seriously?

RF legs are a rarity. Affordable updates could benefit everyone who owns one of these boxes.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood - or humor is involved?

Jim
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 2:40pm
Not kidding at all.  RF legs are not as uncommon as you might think - and getting more common every day.  That's especially true in Europe.  Not that RF legs are the only thing we're working on, but it's one of a couple top priorities.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 3:49pm
Thanks Steve.

Yes, this is becoming a big deal in Europe and lack thereof is a significant competitive disadvantage vs G* who already support RF legs.
Vince
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 5:23am
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Seriously?

RF legs are a rarity. Affordable updates could benefit everyone who owns one of these boxes.

If you search "Seattle" on this forum you'll see that we've had this discussion several times. See this post for a succinct summary.
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the link as it answered a basic question of no other option being readily available. Wonder if anyone has approached Steve P at SA if he was interested in building/marketing a database?
I'm new to the IFD product and feel a bit at risk that the only company we can use for data:
1) costs more than my aircraft insurance including hull
2) owned by an "airline" company that may not have GA best interests in mind
3) that airline company is going through a rough time
4) does not publish simple pricing and products on a website
5) rates and info vary depending on who you speak with
6) the inefficiency of 4&5 increase their labor costs and carries over to our pricing
7) monopoly with zero competition
Obviously additional options would be welcome and would be a better selling point to prospective new buyers.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 4:15pm
i believe Avidyne has said that the engineering that would be involved to use other charts makes it highly unlikely that this will be done in the foreseeable future.

Edited by AviSteve - 23 Apr 2019 at 5:03pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Flybuddy Flybuddy wrote:

4) does not publish simple pricing and products on a website
7) monopoly with zero competition
Obviously additional options would be welcome and would be a better selling point to prospective new buyers.
Re: website, don't worry...if you call and complain about the lousy website, they'll tell you "We know; we're working on it."  I know, because I've complained the last three years when renewing over the phone, and that's the response they always give me.  I think it's probably painted on the wall where they can just read it off easily.

I chose Avidyne before Garmin started offering their own data option separate from Jepp.  My experience with Jeppesen has been so consistently abysmal for the 10 years I've been dealing with them that I could very well have chosen to go with Garmin simply to avoid dealing with Jepp any more, had I known at the time.  The fact that this is a perennial topic of discussion on this forum seems to indicate I may not be the only one who feels that way.

Edited by MysticCobra - 24 Apr 2019 at 4:30pm
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 4:46pm
My feelings exactly.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 5:43pm
Jepp's goal seems to be to drive everyone to products which don't use their data.  It is a very strange business model.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:54am
They should hire a high school kid to revamp their website...

Rolfe

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:10am
If you just call and order, the process is fine. Their people are nice to deal with. 

Better yet if you're going to Oshkosh or Sun 'n Fun go see them, the process is very pleasant and you get a few extra months. I am a COPA member and automatically get 3 months free - then they add on the airshow discount.

This subject has been beaten to death and it's obvious that some people just like to complain, others look for the positive in life.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

If you just call and order, the process is fine. Their people are nice to deal with. ...

I quite like Jepp's product, and have used their plates and maps for years.

True, their website is useless, but I just always call in, and that is perhaps once every few years. You typically don't wait very long, and usually get someone that is helpful and knowledgeable.

They are not "cheap" by any means, and for a Canada/US subscription, we really get hosed. But in the grand scheme of things, it is not a large cost when it comes to owning and operating an aircraft.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Apr 2019 at 2:35pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:52am
It seems that Boeing is trying to recover their 737 Max losses through Jeppesen GA customers. My Jepp IFD540 navdata subscription renewal price just went up 25%.

Grrrrrr.
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:29am
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

If you just call and order, the process is fine. Their people are nice to deal with. 
This subject has been beaten to death and it's obvious that some people just like to complain, others look for the positive in life.
It's true that the people are nice.  And if you are doing something simple, like renewing a plan you already have, then the process is fine.

But there are dozens of posts on here about folks trying to figure out pricing plans, and getting different stories from different reps.  For a long time, there was no clear story on whether 540 owners could buy a bundle comparable to the 440 bundle that did not include charts.  I once spent 40 minutes on the phone with a rep on that very question, and was assured that if I gave her a couple of weeks, she'd make something happen for me.  I finally heard from her again about six months later after someone familiar with the perennial discussions and confusion here spoke with her at either SnF or OSH and she went "oh crap" and remembered that she never got back with me.

In the meantime, someone here had figured out that the 440 no-chart bundle would work on the 540, so I had already called and gotten that package from another rep.  Thank goodness that Jepp's customers can experiment and figure out on their own how to get the products from Jepp that they want.  

The fact that someone might suggest waiting for one of two annual opportunities to fly halfway across the country to deal with them as a workaround to pulling up their website pretty much says it all.

I know there's no good solution for Avidyne to provide an option instead of Jepp on the IFD products.  But maybe the next time they build a product, they'll remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth they had to put up with this time, and try harder to come up with alternatives.

It's not that I like to complain.  I don't, and I really don't complain like this about anyone else.  Not the phone company.  Not the cable company.  Not the IRS.  Not the FAA.  Not Obama or Trump.  Not anyone.

The amount of aggravation Jepp has managed to cause me over the years is so disproportionately high considering their very tiny place in my life.

Edited by MysticCobra - 27 Apr 2019 at 6:43am
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 3:07am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

It seems that Boeing is trying to recover their 737 Max losses through Jeppesen GA customers. My Jepp IFD540 navdata subscription renewal price just went up 25%.

Grrrrrr.

They tried this on me too (up from ~EUR1750 to ~EUR2300)
I called them, and the helpful Julie took the problem away, found it, and then resolved it by cancelling the old invoice and re-issuing a new one (took 2 days), emailing updates as they occurred.
Back to last years (albeit still high) price, but thanks where it is due.
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 3:11am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

They are not "cheap" by any means, and for a Canada/US subscription, we really get hosed. But in the grand scheme of things, it is not a large cost when it comes to owning and operating an aircraft.
* Orest

You think you get hosed!?
I'd disagree about the cost though - it is more than my hangarage, my mandatory insurance, and a bog-stock (no defects) annual inspection
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:52am
Yes, Jepp prices in Europe are really out of this world especially for charts.

Getting charts on the IFD adds about $720. And that's using the special bundle pricing that according to Jepp is supposed to "save" money. Needless to say, I've passed on the charts for the IFD. I only get navdata and obstacles directly from Jepp for the IFD and get the charts separately as a ForeFlight add-on.

Non-Jepp IFR charts are available from various sources in Europe, similar to the US. The alternative is not as attractive as in the US though because each of the 30 or so countries in Europe has their own presentation format which adds a mental overhead. The single format worldwide is the big Jepp advantage when reviewing charts.
Vince
Flyer2017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer2017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:33pm
IFD owners have been asking for years for an alternative to Jepp data. I'm not a programmer but can't believe that it could be so difficult to add the option of buying chart data from Seattle Avionics. They provide data to a wide range of companies including Bendix-King. Just the prospect would probably bring down Jepp's pricing some. Does Avidyne get a commission on data bought for their products?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Flyer2017 Flyer2017 wrote:

I'm not a programmer but can't believe that it could be so difficult to add the option of buying chart data from Seattle Avionics.
I am one of the loudest complainers regarding Jepp.  However, Avidyne has made it clear in past replies on this topic that it's not a matter of programming, it is a matter of data products.  The data provided by Seattle Avionics is not equivalent to what Jepp provides, especially outside of the United States, but even in the US they don't provide the same data.  I don't remember the details but it's something like "whatever data you need to be an IFR-legal/certified GPS, Seattle Avionics doesn't provide that".

It's literally that there is no other game in town.  With Garmin devices, they have two options for data subscriptions:  Jepp and Garmin.  Pretty sure we're not going to get (or want) Garmin as an option for data.  I don't know if we could ever hope for Avidyne to get into the data-provider biz and solve our problems that way.

Edited by MysticCobra - 12 Jul 2019 at 3:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic