Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Draft Pilot Guide Available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 Draft Pilot Guide Available
    Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 3:01pm
Hi all,

I've just posted a draft of the IFD540 Pilot Guide at:

http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/ifd-series.asp

I had some formatting challenges when converting it to pdf that I'll clean up in the near future.   Some pagination got screwed up (you'll see I highlighted some of those page number errors in yellow) and I see some page rippling happened in Section 6.   The Index is also incomplete from a page numbering perspective.

When I posted draft versions of the Transponder and Audio Panel pilot guides, I received a lot of terrific feedback on ways to improve those docs that I incorporated so I'm hoping for the same here.

I view the content of this doc as 100% complete so have at it....

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 3:03pm
BTW, you'll note the very last page of the posted doc has a date identifying the specific draft so as I post new updated variants, you'll be able to tell from that last page.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 4:10pm
I'm travelling right now, but really looking forward to having a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks!

* Orest

MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 4:40pm
Super!  This goes right onto the iPad for reading!
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 4:56pm
Awesome!  My wife and I will start studying.

Jon

MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 5:07pm
Hah!  Nice touch making the USB port available for device charging.  That's a handy feature in case the iPad's battery runs low...
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 5:39pm

In chapter 5 the CDI knob is described; however, there is no description of it's use in or the activation of HDG mode?  However table on p151/198 describes transitions from HDG mode.  Is there a missing description, functionality that has been removed but not undocumented or did I just miss that section?

It mentions data updates are >15 minute via the USB in the aircraft?  I assume the unit's comm radio can be used during this phase?  I'd also think making the checklists functionality available while updating would be a smart idea.

-ryan

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 6:54pm
Mike K - Yah, I use the Ipad on every flight and the charge is very handy.

Roltman - I'll take a look but we had to remove the HDG mode from the Nav Source knob several months ago when we hit FAA cert friction - didn't want to jeopardize the schedule because of it.  I'll clean up the inconsistency.   As far as being able to use the rest of the IFD when updating via the USB port, no I'm afraid that can't be done.  When you are using the USB to update data, you are in Mx Mode and that means the operational stuff like comm radio and checklists are not accessible.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 9:50pm

Quote I'll take a look but we had to remove the HDG mode from the Nav Source knob several months ago when we hit FAA cert friction - didn't want to jeopardize the schedule because of it.  I'll clean up the inconsistency.

I must have missed the announcement months ago as this is extremely unfortunate.

I hope it is not insurmountable friction, and still a high priority feature for an update.

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 10:11pm
Chapter 6 page numbering is AFU.
Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 10:14pm
Steve,
My comments on your guide. Can't really speak to content without trying out the box.

1. I had a hard time with term LSK. After reading much of the Guide you beat it into me so I get it. Still don't like it. I think it might be a confusing term for some. Maybe better graphics to explain what a LSK is would help. The terms, TAB and SIDE TAB are self explanatory.

2. Did't like your graphics where you circled items. A little busy and see page 1.7

Everything else seemed to make sense. Good job! Btw Nice job of restraint with the IFD540 status update board.    Thanks for tweet.

Don V
DV
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 10:24pm

On page 1-13, I need clarification..... It’s stated “Morse code decoded nav frequency identifier are displayed in each com/nav frequency slot.”  From this statement I am assuming that when the station identifier is displayed, it is not coming from an internal database but rather the Morse code is decoded by the receiver circuitry and I no longer have to manually listen to the Morse ID then, right?   I am also assuming that until the Morse signal is decoded nothing will be displayed in the text field, right?

Edited by tony - 05 Dec 2013 at 10:24pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 10:36pm
On page 1-25.  please define dual IFDs.  Does that mean two IFD540's or could that mean one IFD540 and one IFD440?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 11:59pm
Many thanks, Steve--it's like an early Christmas present!

Some notes for chapter 1:
  • p.1-11, "COM-NAV" para, last sentence:  "The radio can act as a 16 watt or 10 watt transmitter."  This makes it sound like a user-selectable option, perhaps via a settings menu somewhere.  I think, though, that the radio is delivered with either a 10W or a 16W transmitter (and that the 16W option costs more than a thousand dollars).  Suggest rephrasing to clarify.
  • p. 1-11, last para:  
    • "...when the bezel Frequency Swap button is pressed..."  If this is the button with the up/down arrow icon on it just above the USB port, this is the first time it's been called a "Frequency Swap" button.  On p. 1-7, this button is labeled in the graphic as the "Com/Nav Swap" button, but then called the "Active/Standby Swap" button in the bullet list right below the graphic.  Not only do I not know what the proper name of this button is, it has not yet been explained how this button knows whether I want to swap the Com or the Nav freq when I push it.
    • "In the example above where the user has set up 4 com slots to be displayed..."  I don't see an example above.  There are three examples on p. 1-12 (which would be "below"), but none of them have 4 com slots displayed.
  • p. 1-13, "Tuning", first para:  So, if I start spinning the manual knobs to change a freq as described, which of the various freq slots will be affected?  Same question for the 3rd and 4th paragraphs.  (I.e., how do I tell the IFD which of the com or nav slots I want to change before I use any of those tuning methods, or which slot does it target by default?)
  • p. 1-16, 17, "Power Control" and "Start-Up Sequence".  Seems odd that this comes sort of in the middle of the "general operations" section.  Personally, I'd put these at the top of the "GENERAL IFD OPERATIONS" section, either before or immediately after the BEZEL LAYOUT.  But maybe you've got focus group input that says your sequencing of info is better, I dunno.
  • p. 1-20, NOTE box:  Consider spelling out "Vectors to Final", and maybe specifying "IFR approach" for the benefit of VFR-only pilots who may be unfamiliar with these terms.  (Maybe FAF, too, though by that point a VFR-only pilot should have figured out this is all IFR stuff that can be ignored, and IFR pilots will understand.)
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 2:23am
Having just read through the whole manual I must admit .... damn am I happy I went for this unit.

A few remarks ..

when in gps approach mode it says it will only display the approaches available with the current gps integrity.. I would like to see the integrity also displayed??

a hint was given by Avidyne Sales that some sort of connected panel feature would be included... alas I see no reference whatsoever??

Will it also display the vfr reporting points in Europe? Are they in the database of Jeppesen?

And last but not least .. Looking through the weather pages it is a huge mistake that the MLX is not supported at first release .. it would have made the system so much better.. I truly hope we do not have to wait another 2 years...
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 6:33am
Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

Quote I'll take a look but we had to remove the HDG mode from the Nav Source knob several months ago when we hit FAA cert friction - didn't want to jeopardize the schedule because of it.  I'll clean up the inconsistency.

I must have missed the announcement months ago as this is extremely unfortunate.

I hope it is not insurmountable friction, and still a high priority feature for an update.

So "remove the HDG mode from the Nav Source knob"...does this mean HDG mode is gone entirely?  I was hoping when assigned vectors and the autopilot is coupled the the IFD, I could enter the vector in the IFD  and the autopilot would comply.  Is HDG mode out?
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 7:45am

Terrain alerting (pages 3-16 to 3-20):  Is the terrain alerting function complaint or not complaint to TSO-151b?  If it is an TAWS system, what class?   Is the terrain database part of the 28 day cycle or is it a separate database that only needs updating once every few years.  Where does this database come from, Avidyne? Is it user loadable or do we need to go to an authorized dealer for updating?  Please clarify that the “obstacles” referred to in the terrain database are buildings, cell towers, etc.   

Edited by tony - 06 Dec 2013 at 7:46am
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 8:07am

Page 3-24.  If the IFD 540 is not a multi-sensor DO-236 FMS, why would you include RNP approaches in the database?  In a configuration with two IFD 540s sharing data with each other, is there an upgrade path to support RNP alerting and RNP approaches?   

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 9:31am
Steve:

Congrats on getting this out.  Looks like progress.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 11:16am
Thank you to everyone who has sent feedback - this is exactly the type of improvement stuff I was hoping for.  I'll make an update to reflect these comments and those that I've gotten via direct email in the coming days and post when that update is available.   Please keep them coming.

As for some of the open questions in this  thread:

The pulling of HDG mode from the IFD Nav Source options is not insurmountable and it is still our intention to add it back in when we can.  It was approaching "saga" status with the FAA which resulted in our decision to pull it for now.  The gist of the FAA argument was "mode confusion" in that the Nav Source on the IFD could indicate "HDG" but the autopilot might be in something like "GPSS" or "NAV".  An understandable concern on the part of the FAA.  When combined with a number of corner cases and some difficultly in even getting heading data passed back and forth between the IFD and a number of legacy systems, it made the most sense to pull it for now.  There are some vestiges still in for the initial release. For example, if we get selected heading input from an EFIS or high-end CDI, a heading bug does show up on the map compass rose and is responsive to any change made to selected heading by the pilot on the external heading set device.

As for Morse Code decoding, this is only applicable to Nav radios.  The Com radio frequency decoding is 100% database lookup dependent.  The Nav radio decoding and display of channel ID does count for Tune-Identify-Monitor tasks that you would normally otherwise have to do.  If you see the decoded nav station id, then the T-I-M task has been accomplished (I guess you technically need to periodically look to see it's still there as part of the Monitor side).  If it's not decoded, then no characters show up in that space.

"Dual IFD" does mean 540-540, or 540-440, or 440-440.

10W vs 16W is indeed a selection made at time of purchase and the unit will come from the factory as either a 10W or 16W unit and it's not something that can be field or user changed/tweaked.

On the manual tuning question, it's whichever frequency slot is the #1 Standby slot is the one that gets changed during manual tuning actions on the bottom left knob.   If you elected to display 5 Com freqs and touched the 5th slot to make it the #1 standby, then manual tuning via the knob adjusts that 5th slot.

On Connected Panel support, yes, standby.  Some stuff will still be coming from us in the not-too-distant future on that one.

VFR Reporting points in Europe are not part of the current Jepp database.  It is a high candidate for inclusion on a subsequent release however.

MLX is also a deferred capability.  We get how important it is, especially for the non-US/Canada pilots and have it high on our to-do list for follow-on releases.

Terrain Awareness (TA) is not part of any TAWS system but Forward Looking Terrain Awareness (FLTA) is TAWS compliant and is part of a TAWS-B system.    So, when the certified TAWS part of the IFD540 is available, that part won't change one bit.   The terrain database is a Jepp supplied database and we don't expect it will change or need changing for years, if ever.   If it does, it will also be upgradeable via the USB port in the front.

Filtering out the RNP approaches from the Jepp supplied databases was going to be a meaningfully difficult job so they were left in, even though the unit is not RNP compliant at this point.  I look at it as the same as an RNP approach plate being included in a paper charts book. Just because it's in the book doesn't necessarily mean you are authorized to fly it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
drumified View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumified Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Terrain Awareness (TA) is not part of any TAWS system but Forward Looking Terrain Awareness (FLTA) is TAWS compliant and is part of a TAWS-B system.    So, when the certified TAWS part of the IFD540 is available, that part won't change one bit.

I'm a little confused by this...do you mean that the IFD isn't TAWS-B certified, but contains some of the same features as TAWS-B? I thought this was planned as an initial feature? If not, when can we hope to see our IFDs with TAWS-B?

Edited by drumified - 06 Dec 2013 at 2:18pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 1:17pm
The initial release of the IFD540 is not TAWS-B certified.  At the outset of the program, it was planned to be in the initial release but was deferred a year or so ago for schedule reasons.

It remains the top IOU we have after the first cert of the product.

For reference, a certified TAWS-B system has:

1. FLTA - this is the biggest element of TAWS and we have a fully compliant version in this release;
2. PDA - this is a Premature Descent Alarm and is essentially an alert that you started descending out of the FAF altitude too soon.  This is not in the initial release.
3.  Excessive Sink Rate - this alarm is when a high vertical speed in the downward direction is occurring.  This is not in the initial release.  (Remember that FLTA takes your velocity vector into account and has a buffer above the ground that it will alert you about if it thinks you'll penetrate that safe buffer).
4.  Departure Leg Sink - this alarm is during climbout/missed approach when it detects what it thinks is an inappropriate sink instead of the expected climb.  This is not in the initial release.
5.  500' altitude call-out.  This alarm fires off an aural alert anytime you descend below 500' AGL.  This is not in the initial release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 1:18pm
BTW, how are things in Olathe?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 1:22pm
Or is it Salem?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
drumified View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumified Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 1:35pm
Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. That's good to hear.
drb930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drb930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 1:50pm
Sweet!!!
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 3:49pm
Steve,

Is there an e-mail address we can send comments about the pilot manual to, rather than post them all here?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 4:22pm
Yes,   sjacobson@avidyne.com

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 6:32pm

Pages 5-6 through 5-9:  I’m a little confused about the Nav source selector knob.  Am I correct in understanding that if there is no active flight plan, the source for your navigation solution is defined by the knob selection but if you have an active flight plan, the solution is defined by the leg type and the knob doesn’t do anything?

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 6:38pm
page 5-13, How do I know that all the conditions are met to continue the approach?   is the "do not descend"  message an advisory that comes up on the display?
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 7:02pm

For the CAS system, there is no mention of aural tones being generated.  I am assuming that’s just an oversight in the manual.  I am also assuming that if the IFD 540 is properly integrated into the intercom system (AMX 240) then we should hear caution/warning/advisory tones being generated into our headsets. 

Edited by tony - 06 Dec 2013 at 7:03pm
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 7:18pm
Steve,

First of all, congrats on a job well done.

Page 1-28 reads, 'The IFD is capable of communicating with several hundred 3rd party devices. Reference the Installation Manual for a complete list of devices supported and any hardware/software baseline restrictions.

As a condition for certification, the IFD is approved for integration with every piece of equipment the GNS 530 is approved for, plus some additional equipment beyond what the GNS system is authorized for.'

Am I correct to assume it supports the GMX200, including the Jeppview autoload from the 540 to the GMX (MapMX get around).

Also, have the issues with GTX330 transponder been sorted?

Thanks,

Victor

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 7:02am

In section 2, we talk about SIDs, STARS, approaches, but there is no mention of airways.  I thought we would be able to build a flight plan by selecting an airway?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 7:40am
Comments keep pouring in and they are all quite helpful.  I've started to make the updates and hope I can do them all justice.

To catch up on the latest round of questions:

The Nav Source knob controls the source of the deviation data being transmitted out of the IFD to other devices like CDIs, HSIs, autopilots, etc.   So, if you select GPS but have no active GPS flight plan, there is no deviation to output and so the other cockpit indicators would see an invalid flag on them.  Make sense?

There is no "Do Not Descend" CAS message.   I'll try to clean up the intent of the paragraph.

As for aurals, we recorded almost a hundred  and they are stored in the IFD but a small subset of them are being used right now.  I think I'll add a table to PG that specifically calls out the ones that are being used.   As long as the IFD is wired to an audio panel (including the AMX240) that can take in unswitched/unmuted audio input, then yes, aurals will be heard over the headset.

Victor, I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean by MapMx work-around.   We were successful in reverse engineering the MapMx protocol and have it working on the GMX200 and MX20.   Do you want to supply us very specific tests and expected results on the GMX200/MX20 to include pictures and we can send actual results back to you for an interesting validation?

As for 330 transponder integration, we do NOT have a certifiable ADS-B solution using a combined IFD540 and 330ES transponder at this time and I don't have a lot of optimism that will improve soon or possibly ever.

As for building flight plans using airways, yes, that is definitely in the 540 and I'll improve the PG to make that very clear.  I've flown the test bird to FL from MA a few times in the last few months and I build the entire route in a few seconds (basically just ride V-3 all the way down the east coast).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 8:24am
Steve,

Sorry, bad choice of words.  I meant were you able to reverse engineer the MapMx.   I am mainly interested in the ability to autoload the particular Jepp chart on the GMX200 once say for example an RNAV approach is loaded into the IFD540.

Sounds like its all good.  In fact, very good!!

Regards,

Victor

Edited by Victor - 07 Dec 2013 at 8:27am
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 9:28am
"The Nav Source knob controls the source of the deviation data being transmitted out of the IFD to other devices like CDIs, HSIs, autopilots, etc.   So, if you select GPS but have no active GPS flight plan, there is no deviation to output and so the other cockpit indicators would see an invalid flag on them.  Make sense?"

Not really, but I realize it’s not design review time.  So for my simple mind,  if I want to use the IFD 540 like a Nav radio and not a not enter a flight plan, I would select the CDI switch to VLOC and just fly from VOR to VOR. 

If I enter a fly plan, whether the navigation source is GPS based or VHF based, then there is nothing I need to do and the IFD 540 will handle the switching for me. 

Edited by tony - 07 Dec 2013 at 9:33am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 9:51am
Victor, let me double check that capability in the lab on Monday.  I have seen the flight plans and related stuff all correctly appear via the MapMx protocol but I think you're asking if the IFD540 will tell the GMX200 and MX20 to pull up a specific chart.  If so, I'm skeptical.

Tony, for your Nav radio - CDI, VOR to VOR example yes, it behaves as you suggest.    Same is true for your flight plan example in that if you enter a flight plan that may be a combination of GPS waypoints and VHF-based navaids, there is no manual switching you need to do with the Nav Source knob.  But that's not to say the Nav source will auto switch back and forth between GPS and VLOC along the route of flight.  It will stay in GPS but it is auto tuning VORs in the background.  If that same flight plan ends in a VHF-based approach (like a localizer or ILS), then the Nav source will auto arm so it's showing GPS --> VLOC and then auto switch to pure VLOC at the appropriate point on the approach.     Any clearer?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 11:01am
Steve,

I have a feeling it should work.  I just copied the following from the GMX200 PG:

AutoLoad Electronic Charts

'This is only available when installed with a GPS navigator that supports the MapMX communication protocol (e.g., GNS 480 series). This feature must be disabled when the GMX 200 is connected to a GPS navigator that does not support the MapMX communication protocol. It allows the GPS navigator to instruct the GMX 200 to load a selected approach chart.' 

As it has been reverse engineered and your comment, 'flight plans and related stuff all correctly appear via the MapMx protocol', am I correct to assume the IFD540 supports MapMX communication protocol? Also, the autoload is enabled in the GMX200 systems page, not in the GPS.

Victor

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 1:03pm
Much clearer, thank you.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 5:55pm
A few questions, and a few comments.

In the absence of an IFR approach to a airport I will commonly set OBS with the Airport as the active waypoint (at the ARP), and set the course to that of the planned runway. Great for general orientation ...

Q. It did mention that you could not OBS to a waypoint inside the FAF when on an approach, but it wasn't clear if you could use your destination to OBS if NOT on an IFR approach. Can you?

Q. Can you halt the sequencing through an OBS'd waypoint, and prevent it from transitioning to GPS guidance further along on the next route segment?

Q.  The fuel timer callout, when does that start timing, on takeoff?

Q.  It is too bad that you can't have BOTH block and air times/total times, on the timers, or can you?

I really like that it will ensure that your NAV is ID'd and cross referenced to the approach in use, before it will allow transition to LOC.

Also being able to tune in a VOR/LOC by its phonetic is a nice touch, as is the auto-tuning of the next VOR on the route.

And being able to display an airway routing both in full (all waypoints) and in compact view (significant waypoints only) is very powerful.

The choice of both HEADING UP & TRACK UP is intriguing.

Your intelligent use of the LSKs is so much better than the big scrolling menus. BTW, LSK might well be an unfamiliar term to small aircraft guys -- I'd be sure to explain that "Line Select Key" is just another name for a "Soft Key". Maybe use a breakout NOTE for it. Done. That said, I would still suggest you DO use LSK in the docs, I like it hinting at big plane FMS lingo.

To that end, you might consider adding the ability to close a discontinuity by selecting a waypoint, and removing part of a route, by inserting that selected waypoint and the rest of the trailing flightplan higher up in the flightplan. Yes, you can do the same thing with multiple CLRs, or a DCT to a waypoint further in the routing, but this would be an elegant FMS type feature to bring in.

Q. Very little mention of the powerful altitude constraint functionality in the docs, and no mention of the Boeing Banana -- that will be included in first release, will it not?

Reading through the manual, just makes me want it more.

Q. Any word when the simulator software may appear? Hopefully that predates initial shipping, if only by a little bit.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Dec 2013 at 6:21pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 5:58pm
+1 on the simulator
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 9:18am
Reference Orest's questions from 7 Dec:

Can you use OBS on a destination if no active approach?   Yes.  In that case, the leg to the airport is just like any other leg so you can do OBS to the airport.

Can you halt the sequencing through an OBS'd waypoint, and prevent it from transitioning to GPS guidance further along on the next route segment?  As long as you set up the OBS so that it's a "TO" course, the sequence will happen and cannot be disabled (halted).  If you dial it so that the geometry is "FROM", then you won't sequence.

The fuel timer callout, when does that start timing, on takeoff? I'm not sure which one you are asking about.  If you are referring to the switch tanks alert, that timer starts at power on.   If you are talking about estimated fuel at waypoint/destination displays in the flight plan or calculators, then it relies on fuel flow and FMS calculated time to that point.  If I didn't answer the real question, please clarify.

It is too bad that you can't have BOTH block and air times/total times, on the timers, or can you?   No, there is no capability for that.  I hadn't thought of that capability until you mentioned it here and just added it to our system for candidate feature adds.

Very little mention of the powerful altitude constraint functionality in the docs, and no mention of the Boeing Banana -- that will be included in first release, will it not? Will look to add more description in the manual.   As for the Boeing Banana feature, I think you are referring to the Range to Climb arc which indicates the predicted point of reaching your altitude pre-select value.  If so, that is NOT in this release.   We have it in R9 but that's in conjunction with the VNAV capability of our DFC100 autopilot.  We view it as needing to know current vertical speed and in R9 we use the air data supplied VS.  We elected not to use GPS derived vertical speed in this release because if you are not in autopilot vertical speed mode (or something similar) then that range-to-climb arc tends to breakdance all over the display.  Unlike a true integrated flight deck, the IFD540 does not know what autopilot mode you happen to be in.

Any word when the simulator software may appear?  Yes, it will be available prior to shipping the certified units, at least the Apple-compatible version.   As I have noted in other threads, we've had the Apple compatible version running for more than a year and now are working to get it on the Apple store for mass downloads.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 10:12am
Steve,

I would not have thought the IFD540 needs to know what autopilot mode you are in. For example, the VNAV feature  in a simple Garmin 295 handheld you input when you want top of descent (the rate say 500 fpm has already been inputted by default previously in the systems menu) and when that time comes, it tells you when to start the descent.  You adjust the autopilot accordingly to descent at 500 fpm.

Re the GMX200.  Show the lab guys the statement from the GMX200 PG.  I guess it will come down to whether the IFD540 now supports the MapMX communication protocol through reverse engineering. It will be interesting to read their opinion.

Victor 

Edited by Victor - 08 Dec 2013 at 10:13am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 10:27am
We do have the Top of Descent feature in the IFD540 (see page 2-14 of the PG) but we do not have Range to Climb in this release.   

I have seen the MX20 overlaying charts on map for VOR approaches via the MapMx protocol.  I'm pretty sure that it will do the same with RNAV and ILS/LOC approaches but I will run that test myself on Monday just to be certain.  (Note I'm doing this on the MX20 since we no longer have a functional GMX200).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 10:30am
page1-16:  could you define why you have two circuit breakers and what the purpose of each one is?
rumbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rumbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 11:31am
Looks great overall. A few comments:

P1-24: isn't '5' a valid entry? Didn't the guide say earlier that the 1 could be omitted?
P1-27: refers to Dual Preview mode but it has not yet been introduced or explained (perhaps include a forward refrence) 
P2-4: the description of scroll bar does not seem to correspond to image above
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 1:45pm
Steve,

Thanks for the quick, thorough replies. I've broken this out to several threads, as this one is getting a bit long on tooth.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 2:03pm
Two circuit breakers mirror that of the Garmin 530 that many of these units are replacing.  The Install Manual provides all the details on what signals each CB covers.  In excessively simplistic terms, one is for Nav and one is for Com.   One is 10 amps and one is 5 amps.

Rumbles, you can drop the leading 1 but 15x.xx is not in the valid com frequency range, hence the message.   

I'll incorporate improvements in these suggestions too.  Thanks for the input.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 9:38am

On page 1-11 it describes how a custom display format can be set up on the IFD540 to display the active com and up to four standby com frequencies.  If the IFD540 is integrated with the AMX240, and the montor feature is selected on the audio panel (so that you can listen to the standby) what is going to be heard by the pilot with four different frequecines being defined as standby? 

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 9:57am
Only one of those frequencies is defined as the #1 Standby and highlighted as such.  So, whichever freq is tagged as your #1 Standby is the freq that is heard on the standby audio panel selection.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic