Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Criteria for the NAV Flag or our indicator?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Criteria for the NAV Flag or our indicator?
    Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:55pm
OK, my last question of the day. :-)

Again, this isn't quite clear from the manual, unless I've missed it.

If we "manually" tune a LOC or ILS frequency and fly the approach in VLOC mode w/out any GPS waypoint, the NAV flag on our KI 209A doesn't clear. We saw this several times today on a LOC approach.

The needle behaved flawlessly and I was able to follow it to the runway every time, but the white/orange NAV flag was present the entire time. Since it's practice in VFR conditions with an instructor in the right seat, we opted to keep going and figure it out later.

Now it's later and I'm trying to figure it out.

The 540 properly ID's the LOC by identifier and, as I said, the needle gave proper indications. But we're not clear why the flag was visible the entire time.

If I'm missing a bit in the manual, please tell me to go RTFM and I will.

Thanks,

Jeremy
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 6:49pm
That's not in the manual.

Has anyone else seen this before?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:29pm
I called the tech support line today and spoke with Ray.

He couldn't come up with an answer either, so I asked him to check with the engineers about the criteria that need to be met for the NAV flag to clear on a "manually" tuned LOC that IDs properly.

Interestingly, on that same flight we manually tuned a VOR which also ID'd correctly but the NAV flag was not present.

In both cases the CDI provided the expected guidance.

So the mystery continues.

We're flying VOR approaches tomorrow AM, so we'll be looking for anything that's not quite right...
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 3:52pm
For the record, I did 3 practice ILS approaches yesterday and the NAV flag was present the entire time. The unit did sequence from GPS -> VLOC and IDd the LOC frequency correctly, provided proper CDI guidance, etc. But the flag was showing.

This isn't an issue when using it in GPS mode or when tuned to a VOR.

Jeremy
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:13am
Jeremy, I haven't been paying close attention, but reading this in view of a couple of other threads on dual 540s, cross-syncing and GPS/OBS modes can't help wonder if you have dual 540s set up to cross-sync.
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by bellanca1730a bellanca1730a wrote:

Jeremy, I haven't been paying close attention, but reading this in view of a couple of other threads on dual 540s, cross-syncing and GPS/OBS modes can't help wonder if you have dual 540s set up to cross-sync.

Actually a single unit but I think we may have sorted that out.  More in a week or so.
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 3:59pm
I have been experiencing the same thing.  I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago before seeing this thread.  I flew again today to confirm that what I saw was the same thing.  I was flying the ILS R31 at KBIS starting with the arc.  The nav flag clears when tuned to the VOR, then doesn't when tuned to the LOC.  The needles give the proper indications, but the flag doesn't clear.  I have a single IFD, with KI209A.  I pulled the logs.  To whom should I send the logs?

I was going to upload photos, but I can't seem to upload the photos directly from my hard drive.  I'll try to figure this out and upload later.
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 3:18pm
Unfortunately, my visit to the avionics shop got postponed by a week.

I'll message you privately though with a related question...

Jeremy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic