Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hodling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clinemc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hodling
    Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:28pm
I am new to the 540/440 or will be shortly.
While an altitude crossing restriction can easily be created before or after a defined waypoint, can a Holding point be created at that point without creating a User Wpt? Can a PPOS Hold Pattern be created?

My search through the POH has not been successful.

Regards.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 10:41pm
No, a hold requires a database or user waypoint to anchor it on.

Now, a very quick way to create a user waypoint in the location of your choice, is to do a graphical edit of your flightplan.

I have also suggested a number of cool ways to specify user waypoints with a few pokes, borrowed from big-iron Honeywell systems, which would cover your issue, for example ...

5nm before a waypoint (eg. HOPCE) already in the flightplan:
HOPCE/-5

... but don't know if we will ever see them on an Avidyne system. Here is the original post, and the full list of possibilities:

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Jan 2016 at 10:45pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 8:01am
Originally posted by clinemc clinemc wrote:

I am new to the 540/440 or will be shortly.
While an altitude crossing restriction can easily be created before or after a defined waypoint, can a Holding point be created at that point without creating a User Wpt? Can a PPOS Hold Pattern be created?

My search through the POH has not been successful.

Regards.

Yes, it can, however, it takes three steps.  As Orest mentions, you need to have some waypoint to anchor the hold on (step 1), and there are several different ways to create a user waypoint.  One way is to press the PPOS button which creates a user waypoint (step 1).  Then insert it into the flight plan (step 2), and create the hold (step 3).

Edited by Gring - 29 Jan 2016 at 9:06am
clinemc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clinemc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 10:40am
Thank you all.
I have practiced all mentioned on the iPad app. Practcally speaking it might work for a PPOS hold to put AP into Hdg Mode, Select WPT PPOS, turn to outbound hold heading, create User PPOS WPT, and then insert and create Hold in flight plan. Return to Nav mode on inbound leg. Busy yes!!
With a Hold ahead of the plane, one should have time to create a User Wpt whether by Rubber band or through New Wpt.

It is like reading a book about golf (POH), going to the driving range (iPad app), then to the golf course (airplane).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic