Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

As great as the IFD 100 sounds, I don't believe you can do weather and flight planning/filing with it as you do with Foreflight so I doubt it will replace it.

Correct.  We have no intent on replacing Foreflight or any other kind of mission planning/flight plan filing app.     The IFD100 is an IFD4XX/5XX that happens to run on a mobile device.  When connected via WiFi to a panel mount 4-series or 5-series box, it has no idea it isn't a "real" IFD nor does the panel mount IFD realize the IFD100 is on a mobile device.

One of the neat things with the new iOS is that you can run two apps at the same time in split screen mode so that means you can have Foreflight running on the left side of the iPad and IFD100 running on the right side if you want.  Both apps need a little optimization to take advantage of the split screen ops.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by 310pilot 310pilot wrote:

As awesome as the IFD 100 sounds I too am trying to figure out how it fits into my cockpit if I'm running foreflight. Will be anxious to see how people think it will be best used..

Well I recommend  trying it out and judge for yourself.  As noted in a previous response, you can run them both at the same time on the same iPad in split screen mode under the new iOS release.   It's very slick.  And the two apps can share the same data and even talk back/forth when optimized to do so.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by TomG TomG wrote:

Agreed, but getting a new route from ATC, might be a bunch easier to put in.  Really can't wait to see the rest of the story! Is the new IFD 550 going to feed the DFC90 autopilot?  Does the IFD 550 output data from the ARS system to feed other devices? 

Really hoping Avidyne will have people stacked 5 deep at the booth!

At this point, the IFD550 does not feed the DFC90 autopilot.

The IFD550 will output the ARS data over wifi for mobile apps to catch and do something with.   It is how the SynVis and AI on the IFD100 app get their attitude data  when talking to an IFD550.

5-deep is setting your expectations too low.....

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:34pm
I didn't realize IOS 9.3 has a split screen mode. I'll have to check that out.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:35pm

I didn't realize IOS 9.3 has a split screen mode. I'll have to check that out.

I think it needs to be paired with a newer iPad as well.  The iPad Pro we'll have running at SnF does the split screen feature.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

.... The iPad Pro we'll have running at SnF does the split screen feature.

We shouldn't hold our breath for an android or win10 version? Just asking.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

* Orest

It works in Windows too - I've got it running on my Surface Pro 4 (but who the heck flies with a Window's based tablet?).   Android will, as always, lag (maybe a lot).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:51pm
That explains it. I'm still using an iPad Air. If you get a chance, would you post a screenshot of the iPad in split mode with FF and the IFD 100?
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

* Orest

They sell Apple products in Canada now.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:29pm

Originally posted by dpcraig dpcraig wrote:

Wondered if 10.2 will provide the capability to receive WX data from heads up technologies on the 440/540?

No, Rel 10.2.0.0 does not support XMD-76/A from HUT.

Steve -- For those of us with Cirrus aircraft with Avidyne Entegra panels, the new IFD's inability to process data from the same HUT XMD-76/A that feeds the Avidyne MFD has been a bit of a surprise.  While I will probably always use the MFD to display NEXRAD weather, having the appropriate weather flags appear on IFD waypoints would be nice, not to mention other advantages.

Is this just an IFD software issue that time permitting will be addressed in a future release?  Or is there something more fundamental about the design of the IFDs that will likely prevent them from ever having the capability to process weather data from a HUT XMD-76/A device?
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:58pm

... The IFD100 is an IFD4XX/5XX that happens to run on a mobile device.  When connected via WiFi to a panel mount 4-series or 5-series box, it has no idea it isn't a "real" IFD nor does the panel mount IFD realize the IFD100 is on a mobile device...

That's pretty amazing.  Can the IFD100 and IFD5XX/4XX be set up to cross-sync with each other, so as to use features such as keyboard convenience mode, flight plan sync, weather sync, traffic sync, etc.?

Also, will the IFD100 have a navigation database?  If so, how will it be kept current?  Will it sync flight plans with the IFD5XX/4XX?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 1:56am
Again, Steve, thanks for on target reply.

This does pose an interesting dilemma for those of us also flying with Aspens.  

Knowing the source of derived AGL displayed is more important than I had realized.
On next flight, I will confirm that the Aspen (MFD) AGL displayed actually does vary with the Baro setting, but if confirmed, intuitively seems more accurate and dependable than the GPS derived AGL on our 540's (at least below FL180) since we adjust our altitude based on local Baro, and conversely GPS AGL is most accurate close to the ground. 

Tom Wolf
210 Driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:43am
+1
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 6:27am
Steve/Simpson:

Am I correct in assuming the IFD100 will operate as a separate IFD?  Not just mirroring the real IFD, but actually able to display separate pages?  Such that I could have ithe IFD100 showing the map view while I am entering a flight plan on the real IFD?

If the IFD100 thinks it is a real IFD, what about the com?  Will it have freq displays that just mirror the actual IFD in the panel?  Or will the freq displays be gone on the IFD100 allowing more room for datablocks?

Can multiple IFD100's be connected to a single IFD?

Sorry if this was already answered -- What about database updates for the IFD100?  How will that work?  And what about charts?

Will the IFD100 cross-sync with the panelmount IFD such that the same active flight plan will be shown on both displays?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 6:56am

That explains it. I'm still using an iPad Air. If you get a chance, would you post a screenshot of the iPad in split mode with FF and the IFD 100?

Will do.  Neither app has been optimized to take advantage of split screen yet but they both work in that mode.  Optimizations included reformatting page layout for the different dimensions and sharing data behind the scenes.  Right now, they are two independent apps that run at the same time side-by-side.  Still pretty cool.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

... The IFD100 is an IFD4XX/5XX that happens to run on a mobile device.  When connected via WiFi to a panel mount 4-series or 5-series box, it has no idea it isn't a "real" IFD nor does the panel mount IFD realize the IFD100 is on a mobile device...

That's pretty amazing.  Can the IFD100 and IFD5XX/4XX be set up to cross-sync with each other, so as to use features such as keyboard convenience mode, flight plan sync, weather sync, traffic sync, etc.?

Also, will the IFD100 have a navigation database?  If so, how will it be kept current?  Will it sync flight plans with the IFD5XX/4XX?

Yes, they crosssync data just like two panel mount boxes do.  In fact, for the single IFD installations, you have to set "CrossSync" on in maintenance mode on the panel mount IFD so it knows to share data.

We are finalizing our integration with Jepp so you will be permitted to download current databases onto the IFD100 as well.   If the IFD100 and the panel mount IFD don't have the same nav database, they won't share flight plans - same restriction as with two panel mount IFDs.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 7:04am
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Steve/Simpson:

Am I correct in assuming the IFD100 will operate as a separate IFD?  Not just mirroring the real IFD, but actually able to display separate pages?  Such that I could have ithe IFD100 showing the map view while I am entering a flight plan on the real IFD?

If the IFD100 thinks it is a real IFD, what about the com?  Will it have freq displays that just mirror the actual IFD in the panel?  Or will the freq displays be gone on the IFD100 allowing more room for datablocks?

Can multiple IFD100's be connected to a single IFD?

Sorry if this was already answered -- What about database updates for the IFD100?  How will that work?  And what about charts?

Will the IFD100 cross-sync with the panelmount IFD such that the same active flight plan will be shown on both displays?

Yes, the IFD100 will operate as a separate IFD that shares data with the panel mount IFD, just like two panel mount IFDs do.  So yes, you can have the panel mount IFD on one page and the IFD100 on a different page.

Com freqs are a little different.  We don't have a Swap function on the IFD100.  We are debating adding one (there are real pros and cons to each position).   So in that case, you can use Freq List on the IFD100 to find a freq and push it into standby but you can't get it into Primary and then over to the panel mount IFD.  Note that with dual panel mount boxes, you don't share com freqs between the two IFDs either.

As for datablocks, especially in portrait orientation, you have gobs of room for more datablocks on the left side of the IFD100.

Yes, multiple IFD100s can be connected to same panel mount IFD (though I haven't spent a lot of time playing with that configuration).

See above for database updates and syncing.

And yes, the two IFDs will share the same flight plan.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 7:53am
How about getting the updates on the ipad over the air via LTE and then uploading it to the panel mounted IFDs? Eliminates the need for remembering to bring the USB fob with the latest updates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 8:52am
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

They sell Apple products in Canada now.

Yes, and like elsewhere, it is generally outmoded hardware, for far too much. Like the majority, I choose to stay away from that walled garden.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Apr 2016 at 9:03am
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 12:27pm
Steve,

Thanks for the quick answers.  I am very stoked!! I have all sorts of ideas for the IFD-100.  I may do some kind of dock for a small iPad or Windows tablet.  That would be in addition to the iPad mini I use for Foreflight which is attached to my yoke.  

This is all good stuff!

One more question:

What about the possibility of bringing in ADS-B data (TIS-B and FIS-B) via WIFI from something like a Stratus or Dual XGPS190?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 1:32pm
The IFD100 is more capable then I originally read into the description.

Hopefully we do see an android version, but if not may have to get a windows tablet.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 1:47pm
Orest:
Ever since the surface pro 4 came out, price has dropped on the pro 3.

David Gates
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:03pm

It works in Windows too - I've got it running on my Surface Pro 4 (but who the heck flies with a Window's based tablet?).   Android will, as always, lag (maybe a lot).

Oh boy! I'd love to run the IFD100 on my Surface Book. Let me know if you need a beta tester.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Orest:
Ever since the surface pro 4 came out, price has dropped on the pro 3.

Yes, the prices are a somewhat better on the 3, the Surface 4 is silly priced for a tablet, at $1000+

But, the Surface 3 is still 10", just a little bit large for my cockpit. It does come with a full size USB 3.0 port as well, which is nice, so could use it for Jepp stuff. And of course all your other Windows stuff would run.

But, for me, 8" is the sweet spot - like my Samsung Tab S2 8"!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Apr 2016 at 2:39pm
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:31pm
I'd imagine that the Surface Pro would be overkill for running the IFD100, and that the non-pro unit would work fine-- that would get you the smaller form factor. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro that I'd like to try it with too-- that would fit in my yoke mount, whereas the 12" Surface Book tablet won't.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:33pm
Paul,

I noticed the Venue as well, please report back when you get your hands on the IFD100.

* Orest

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:45pm

Steve/Simpson:Will the IFD100 cross-sync with the panelmount IFD such that the same active flight plan will be shown on both displays?
Yes, the IFD100 will operate as a separate IFD that shares data with the panel mount IFD, just like two panel mount IFDs do.  So yes, you can have the panel mount IFD on one page and the IFD100 on a different page.
This leads me to a new feature request, then:  An option for a page with nothing but datablocks in it.  There are a number of datablocks I would like to have available at-a-glance that don't fit onto the MAP display.  I like the scrolling datablock feature addition from 10.1, but having a whole page full of datablocks on a secondary display would be even better.

And being able to pull up multiple IFD displays simo on that IFD100 would be nice, too, but I understand that may not be possible since that's outside the scope of what the 540/440 software supports.

Edited by MysticCobra - 05 Apr 2016 at 2:47pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:50pm

... What about the possibility of bringing in ADS-B data (TIS-B and FIS-B) via WIFI from something like a Stratus or Dual XGPS190? 

If the Stratus or Dual ADS-B devices were listed as compatible input devices to an IFD5XX/4XX, then according to Steve's affirmative response to my earlier question regarding cross-syncing, the ADS-B traffic and weather data would sync to the IFD100.  But since Avidyne does not claim or list those ADS-B devices as compatible, they probably won't work as an ADS-B data source to either the IFD100 or the IFD5XX/4XX.  For that you would have to look at an MLB100 or one of the Garmin ADS-B products that Avidyne has designed the IFD5XX/4XX to work with.  

My Lynx NGT 9000, for another ADS-B In example, does not qualify either, even though like version 10.2.0.0 of the IFD software, it claims to be compliant with the supposed "industry-standard" Capstone protocol for ADS-B data.  As Steve said in another thread though, the idea of a Capstone industry "standard" that would enable various boxes to talk to each other is unfortunately a myth.  There are only Capstone varieties, unique to each company.  These boxes only talk to each other if the companies that make them want them to.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 4:07pm
OK,
Flew this AM.  The higher I flew up to 7500 MSL, the greater the Delta between AGL on Aspen & Avidyne - presumably due to GPS inaccuracies higher up.

Confirmed: 
. Aspen AGL is Baro pressure dependent, only shows to nearest 100'.
. IFD5XX/4XX AGL is GPS derived (like Steve says) - not effected even by changing Baro pressure on Utility screen.
. Avidyne Accuracy looks like to nearest 10'.

So, I guess since Avidyne AGL is more accurate down close to ground, this is a better standard reference to use, but bear in mind higher up MSL shows Avidyne AGL 250' - 400' higher than bro derived Aspen...

Tom Wolf

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

OK,
Flew this AM.  The higher I flew up to 7500 MSL, the greater the Delta between AGL on Aspen & Avidyne - presumably due to GPS inaccuracies higher up.

Confirmed: 
. Aspen AGL is Baro pressure dependent, only shows to nearest 100'.
. IFD5XX/4XX AGL is GPS derived (like Steve says) - not effected even by changing Baro pressure on Utility screen.
. Avidyne Accuracy looks like to nearest 10'.

So, I guess since Avidyne AGL is more accurate down close to ground, this is a better standard reference to use, but bear in mind higher up MSL shows Avidyne AGL 250' - 400' higher than bro derived Aspen...

Tom Wolf

The baro is temp compensated at the runway surface, as you go higher, it gets colder.  So I would guess its the baro that's off

clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 8:39pm

OK,
It's actually (mostly) the other way around. Close to the ground a ground-based barometer gives you an accurate QNH (altimeter setting.) When you're at altitude the altimeter gives you an altitude based on the measured pressure at ground level and the assumed pressure gradient in a standard atmosphere. Since the atmosphere is almost always non-standard, the altimeter becomes progressively less accurate the higher above the barometer on the ground you are.

GPS altitude depends on the geometry of the satellites being received. As you climb the angles to the satellites do change and the accuracy of the GPS altitude may deteriorate somewhat, but likely not as much as the altimeter.

GPS altitude accuracy should be around 10-20m most of the time so say less than 100 ft. If you're seeing differences of more than that at altitude you can assume the altimeter is wrong.

All of this is fairly moot, IMHO, because the only time we're really concerned about height AGL is when we're close to the ground.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 10:46pm

Com freqs are a little different.  We don't have a Swap function on the IFD100.  We are debating adding one (there are real pros and cons to each position).   So in that case, you can use Freq List on the IFD100 to find a freq and push it into standby but you can't get it into Primary and then over to the panel mount IFD.  Note that with dual panel mount boxes, you don't share com freqs between the two IFDs either.

I vote for the freq swap function.  I understand not swapping from the 100 to the 540 primary (although that option would be nice).
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 11:06pm
It's actually (mostly) the other way around. Close to the ground a ground-based barometer gives you an accurate QNH (altimeter setting.) When you're at altitude the altimeter gives you an altitude based on the measured pressure at ground level and the assumed pressure gradient in a standard atmosphere. Since the atmosphere is almost always non-standard, the altimeter becomes progressively less accurate the higher above the barometer on the ground you are.

Agree with the non-standard adiabatic lapse rate, but... At 7500 msl I had to increase the Aspen Baro from 30.10 on ground to 35.10 to make the Aspen AGL agree with the Avidyne GPS derived AGL... seems unlikely to be truly that much higher pressure at higher altitude...

So, the reason I was even looking at the AGL was I was solo, single engine VFR night doing my Commercial 2++ hour X'country requirement.  At 12,500 on the Victor airways on a  very dark night over terrain, just wanted to reassure myself of plenty of ground clearance - and noticed the 400' discrepancy between Aspen and Avidyne.

Tom Wolf
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:38am

At 7500 msl I had to increase the Aspen Baro from 30.10 on ground to 35.10 to make the Aspen AGL agree with the Avidyne GPS derived AGL... seems unlikely to be truly that much higher pressure at higher altitude...

Not that unlikely. Let's assume that 100ft of the difference was due to GPS error, that leaves 400ft, which is 5% of 8000. KPHX at 11AM yesterday was 27C which is about 15C higher than standard, or 5% high when expressed in Kelvin. That would nicely account for the difference you saw.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 8:23am
I have a pro 3 as well as just about every other electron-consuming device; I have found the 3 to be useful in travel (as pax); long battery life, and haven't ever seen the blue screen of death for which windows is famous.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:18am

I have a pro 3 as well ....

Did you get the clam shell keyboard too?

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:27am
It has a magnetic keyboard, not sure what the clamshell is, but can operate without it.

The only concern I have about using it for IFD100 is that the surface pro touch function is "different", with a hover type stylus - I can't see using that in the cockpit.
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:27am
Cool Aviation Consumer Avidyne demo with Tom Harper on Avweb today!!

A few pictures are worth a thousand words, and that SVS stuff & IFD100 look way cool, even for us guys who won't be putting up the $$ to get the full SVS in the 550's. The real winners will be the guys who can only afford or want the IFD440. They'll get the extra IFD540 real estate on the tablet!

All really great stuff, and Avidyne just needs to be aware that they now have 100's (??) of IFD owners out here with sweaty palms just waiting to get our hands on 10.2 and the IFD100 app. :-)

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:31am
Let's see what's in the announcement that's being drummed up big by EAA/Dynon/FAA later in the week. If it really is an easier STC process allowing the Dynon's of this world into certified aircraft like the Cessna's, that should also help the likes of Avidyne speed up the same for their product line enhancements.... hope, hope, hope.

Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:44am
Here's the link to the Avidyne SV/IFD100 video from Avweb.

http://www.avweb.com/videos/Video-Avidynes-Synthetic-Vision-225987-1.html

David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:48am
Vince
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:50am
I noticed an earlier post regarding Foreflight but it didn't really answer whether this new release will enable Wifi/BT connection with FF. Can flight plans be uploaded form FF to the IFD? Can wx info from the IFD be pasted onto the FF map? Apologies if this was answered somewhere else. 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Let's see what's in the announcement that's being drummed up big by EAA/Dynon/FAA later in the week. If it really is an easier STC process allowing the Dynon's of this world into certified aircraft like the Cessna's, that should also help the likes of Avidyne speed up the same for their product line enhancements.... hope, hope, hope.

Wouldn't that be nice...just hard to conceive of FAA letting go of uber control.

I would like a pathway to a DFC 90.....PLEASE!!
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 10:00am
There was some mention up the thread about FF and the IFD100 talking together. It will likely be up to FF rather than Avidyne to announce what FF will be able to do with that.

It looks a lot to me like this will be the fast track to get stuff uploaded to the panel-mounted IFD's. I.e., Avidyne has FAA approval for the IFD100 to talk to the IFDxxx in the panel. That removes the sensitive interfaces with 3rd parties out of the panel and into the tablet where Avidyne can work directly with the 3rd parties without FAA involvement. ???

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 10:15am

Absolutely amazing.  Much more than anyone could have hoped for.  Take THAT *armin!!
I would have fully expected that some features would be more than $0 to activate. It not cheap to engineer these enhancements and get them approved.  Can you say which will incur a cost and the approximate amount?

You can make assumptions...

TAWS is an option.

Radar is an option.

Probably video is an upcharge.

BUT what is important is what they have said is NOT an upcharge.

• Syn Vis
  • IFD100
  • WiFi/BT
  • Full keyboard function
I am sure they understand their business plan.

I personally  am rooting for them.

Steve mentioned that the only items that are extra charge are those listed in his initial post under item 1. Video is not in that list, but rather an extra item which suggests that it is included in 10.2 at no extra charge. Perhaps Steve or Simpson could confirm when one of them comes up for air from SnF.

Vince
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 10:39am
With the extra space on the IFD100, I would think it would be nice to see the full flight plan information.  There is plenty of space for the full flight plan and still a lot of map.

Now if we can get somebody other than Jepp for charting to bring the prices into the real world...
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

With the extra space on the IFD100, I would think it would be nice to see the full flight plan information.  There is plenty of space for the full flight plan and still a lot of map.

Now if we can get somebody other than Jepp for charting to bring the prices into the real world...

Agree, I was also wondering whether v10.2.0 had improved the Jepp Chart Display, like TRK Up option, or display of Low Enroute info - or better yet, NACO chart subscriptions...

Tom Wolf
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 11:20am
I'm still trying to get my head around the IFD-100.  My question upthread asked whether the IFD-100 would act like a separate box, or a mirror to the panel-mount.  The answer was that it would be like a separate box that shares data with the panel-mount.

I just watched the video from Sun N Fun, and I see that there are frequency datablocks in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.  I would have assumed that since the IFD-100 does not have a COM radio, that those freq datablocks would just not be there, but they are.  I was still confused by Steve's answer about how the frequencies worked.  It sounds like you could select a freq on the IFD-100 and have it populate the standby freq field on the panel-mount.  That's great, but why do you need the freq datablocks on the IFD-100?  What do they mean?  Are they a mirror of the panel-mount?  I would assume so, but why waste the screen space?  I wonder if those datablocks can be taken off the screen and replaced by any other datablock?  Dammit, I should've gone to Sun N Fun this year!!

I guess I'll have to wait until Oshkosh to see the IFD-100 in action.

My prediction is that 10.2 will be released sometime in August...
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 2:17pm
How were you able to watch the Sun N Fun video on the IFD 100?
Frank
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Froethel Froethel wrote:

How were you able to watch the Sun N Fun video on the IFD 100?

I clicked the link 8 or so posts upthread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic