Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LOW VOLTS indication when radio transmit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c17testplt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LOW VOLTS indication when radio transmit
    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 5:15pm
So I am trying to figure out why when I make longer radio transmissions (2-3 seconds) My IFD 540 goes into low volts mode.  My MVP-50 engine analyzer shows 13.2-13.6 volts constant, and the the ammeter drops from +1.2 to +.2 to sometimes -.2.  I have a new alternator on  my recently overhauled engine,  I tried to figure out the voltage logs from the IFD and can't seem to make sense of them or what might be going on.  I have a new battery contactor with a fairly good battery.  What is the IFD using to trigger this mode?  Where should I be looking to figure this out?  I notice my cyclone fan changes pitch when I transmit, but the MVP is not showing the same big draw on the power than then drop of about 1.5 AMP
Knobs
scotthess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotthess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 8:11pm
Is the fan on the avionics bus?
Is the MVP wired to the main bus?
If yes and yes I would start with the avionics switch and/or CB.

c17testplt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c17testplt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 9:14pm
fan and IFD are wired through avionics master switch.  You think the voltage going through switch is different than the main bus?  I also have a com 2 (KLX-135A com gps) on the same switch, and when I transmit on Com 2 the IFD540 stays solid
Knobs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic