Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to renew my nav/data plan....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

I see a bundle for those who have two IFD units, that includes navdata, terrain, and obstacles. I don't see one that includes charts. Is there one?
Not yet, but I expect one to be available before end of year.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 12:09pm
I have the new subscription with Dual 440's, EX5000 and 2 IFD seats.  Is it possible to use Charts on the IFD100 (since I have a chart sub)?
------------
dave
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by daveS daveS wrote:

I have the new subscription with Dual 440's, EX5000 and 2 IFD seats.  Is it possible to use Charts on the IFD100 (since I have a chart sub)?
Yes.  They should be available for download when you log in to the IFD100 using your JDM credentials.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Yes.  They should be available for download when you log in to the IFD100 using your JDM credentials.
Doesn't show up for me.  I even changed my IFD device to a 540 (in settings) with no luck.  I assume this is a Jepp issue?
------------
dave
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by tahoeair tahoeair wrote:

I just got lied to several times by the Jeppesen rep on the phone.  The "new" JeppDirect website has been rebranded as Boeing services and every single NavData SKU is missing from the site, which forces us to have to call and get the runaround. 

I called and gave them my Jepp account number and said that I wanted SKU 11112978, as listed here: https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/  First the rep lied and said he couldn't find that SKU.  Then he said he didn't see anything for less than $799 per year, and then eventually lied again and said "oh here's the SKU you mentioned-- it's even highlighted for me in blue" 

We agreed that they would invoice me in December for that SKU after my 60-day trial is up.  Instead, they invoiced me today for $1,165 for SKUs 10502540, 10502550, 10502558, 10502629, 10523432, 10018502, 10018503, and 10018504.

This is deceptive, shady, unfair, and illegal.  They're using their monopoly position in the marketplace to abuse us Avidyne owners, knowing that we have no other options.  You can say there are other Engineering priorities at Avidyne, but honestly, I'm about a day away from returning my unit and buying a GTN.  I cannot understand why finding another data provider or going into the data business yourself is not a priority for the company.  Boeing (Jeppesen)'s bad behavior reflects poorly on your company as well.

If you don't have the resources to do it yourself then outsource it to someone else.  If Seattle Avionics already has the data, then pay them to do it.  I can't understand why there aren't multiple class action suits against Boeing already over this unethical behavior.

You have a total of one post on Avidyne Live and you immediately accuse a Jeppesen rep of lying when they can't immediately find your SKU? You purchase your IFD knowing who provides the data and now you are going to complain about it. I treat the Jepps people very well on the phone and in person at Oshkosh and they do the same for me. Please return your unit and save the rest of us from your rants.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 11:53am

Doesn't show up for me.  I even changed my IFD device to a 540 (in settings) with no luck.  I assume this is a Jepp issue?
Changing the IFD100 settings should have no effect in that regard.  When you start the IFD100 and it is showing the Jeppesen screen, you see your nav data available for download, but not the charts?  If so, then call Jeppesen and have them enable the charts for mobile devices.  They should definitely be included with the "IFD400/500 Series Aircraft Bundle".
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 6:05am
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

You have a total of one post on Avidyne Live and you immediately accuse a Jeppesen rep of lying when they can't immediately find your SKU? You purchase your IFD knowing who provides the data and now you are going to complain about it. I treat the Jepps people very well on the phone and in person at Oshkosh and they do the same for me. Please return your unit and save the rest of us from your rants.
I have plenty of points on AvidyneLive and years of experience with Jepp reps giving me wrong information, calling me to tell me I owe $1000+ when it was paid months ago, telling me they'll absolutely solve my problem and then never calling back, etc.  There is plenty of room for ranting about Jeppesen, its website, and its reps, regardless of how many AvidyneLive points one has.  

Many folks will purchase an IFD expecting that buying a data subscription will be a smooth and effortless experience.  Pull up a website, quickly find the data you want, hopefully pay a reasonable price, and be done.  

Many folks will be surprised and disappointed to learn that it just doesn't work like that.

It's fair for customers to let Avidyne know about weaknesses with a key business partner.  

Edited by MysticCobra - 07 Nov 2019 at 6:09am
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 9:54am
I really think the best solution here is for Avidyne to try and enter into an agreement with Jepp that they will handle the sales for Jepp.  Then users would have the option to go directly to Jepp or go to Avidyne for nav data. 

I think Garmin does that. 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:20am
Steve:
Inasmuch as my current navdata plan runs out next month, can you suggest a SKU appropriate for dual IFD540s?  No EXXXX or other displays.

Thanks
David Gates
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 3:15pm

... can you suggest a SKU appropriate for dual IFD540s?  No EXXXX or other displays.
Check out this article.  The third section shows the "IFD500 or 400 Series Nav Bundle Dual IFD", which would work for the configuration you mentioned.  The Jeppesen item number varies based on the coverage you desire.

Note that this bundle doesn't contain charts.  I expect a similar bundle that does include charts to be available before the end of the year.

Edited by AviSteve - 12 Nov 2019 at 4:51pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
tahoeair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahoeair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 12:11am

Thanks for the warm welcome to the community.  I wasn't aware that the quantity or frequency of my posting in any way has any relevance to the legitimacy of the content of what I'm posting.  I'll keep that in mind when dealing with Jeppesen/Boeing apologists like you in the future.

Back on topic: you weren't on the call.  The guy repeatedly lied to me over and over again.  I treated the guy nicely, just as you say that you do, and he repeatedly ignored me, even as I slowly read out the Jepp SKU from the Avidyne webpage.  He never told me that he couldn't find it-- he said that it flat out didn't exist.  It wasn't until three rounds of higher priced options were thrown at me and rejected that he finally said he found the SKU.

I didn't buy the unit based on who provides the data.  I bought the unit based on the better interfaces and better features that Avidyne provides over the previous GNS-530W unit that it replaced.  The G unit had a Jepp subscription that had been set up entirely on Jepp's website without ever needing to call them to get lied to over and over again.  Boeing has now killed off every single NavData subscription SKU from the Jepp website and we are forced to call them to go through this hassle and get the run around.  Obviously many people have complained enough that Avidyne felt the need to write up all the SKUs on one page so that they're published and easy to find.

My "rant" as you call it was merely a report to the community and to Avidyne that even with the increased visibility and efforts of Avidyne to document the Jepp SKUs that are available for Avidyne units, the Jepp sales team continues to lie and cheat Avidyne customers.
tahoeair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahoeair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 12:12am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

I really think the best solution here is for Avidyne to try and enter into an agreement with Jepp that they will handle the sales for Jepp.  Then users would have the option to go directly to Jepp or go to Avidyne for nav data. 

I think Garmin does that. 

Awesome idea.
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

I have plenty of points on AvidyneLive and years of experience with Jepp reps giving me wrong information, calling me to tell me I owe $1000+ when it was paid months ago, telling me they'll absolutely solve my problem and then never calling back, etc.  There is plenty of room for ranting about Jeppesen, its website, and its reps, regardless of how many AvidyneLive points one has.  

Many folks will purchase an IFD expecting that buying a data subscription will be a smooth and effortless experience.  Pull up a website, quickly find the data you want, hopefully pay a reasonable price, and be done.  

Many folks will be surprised and disappointed to learn that it just doesn't work like that.

It's fair for customers to let Avidyne know about weaknesses with a key business partner.  
Just an update -- this was kind of operator error.  I originally had a 2 month free subscription from Avidyne for my IFD440's which did not include charts.  This sets the serial number in the IFD 100 app.  I then purchased the new Avidyne bundle (which includes charts).  Even though I login each time to my Jepp account through the IFD 100 app, it was using my old subscription.  I needed to 'deactivate' and relogin.  All is well now.
------------
dave
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:28pm

... can you suggest a SKU appropriate for dual IFD540s?  No EXXXX or other displays.
Check out this article.  The third section shows the "IFD500 or 400 Series Nav Bundle Dual IFD", which would work for the configuration you mentioned.  The Jeppesen item number varies based on the coverage you desire.

Note that this bundle doesn't contain charts.  I expect a similar bundle that does include charts to be available before the end of the year.

Does the single IFD NavData only plan for $299 include data for the IFD100 iPad app ?
It does not state so in the description but the dual plan does say it is included. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:38pm
Yes, it will support one IFD100.  Good catch, I'll have the article updated to reflect that.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 5:12pm
I have the $299 single IFD Nav Data plan for my IFD540, and can confirm that I can download the data into my IFD100, as well as to the IFD Trainer. When you download the data for one app, it updates for the other at the same time.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 3:58am

I note that the following items also do not include a Charts option.  Will those also be updated to include Charts?
1. IFD500 or IFD400 Series Nav Bundle Single IFD
2. IFD500 or IFD400 Series Nav Data ("Ala Carte")
Bob
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 9:18am
1. The current single and dual bundles specifically do not include charts.  I expect similar bundles that do include charts to be available by the end of the year.

2. Ala carte is just NavData.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 9:46am

1. The current single and dual bundles specifically do not include charts.  I expect similar bundles that do include charts to be available by the end of the year.

Right now I have Ala carte with just NavData (Eastern US) and Charts (NE US).  But the bundle will be fine if the price is right, which based on the pricing I see so far should be a big improvement.  Thanks Steve.
Bob
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:10pm

Any progress here Steve?  My bill is due in two weeks.
Bob
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

...My bill is due in two weeks.

You can change a plan mid-term. They just credit you for the remaining time of the old plan.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jan 2020 at 12:23pm
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

...My bill is due in two weeks.

You can change a plan mid-term. They just credit you for the remaining time of the old plan.

* Orest
Emoji 
Bob
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 2:40pm
Quick question: Does the North America coverage include Mexico?

Rolfe

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 8:12pm
yes, the North America plan includes Mexico. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 10:35pm

Any progress here Steve?  My bill is due in two weeks.
The latest word from Jeppesen is now Q1 2020.  I'll let you know when they're available.  In the meantime, as others have said, just order what makes best sense for you at this point and then when the new bundles are available, you can change the subscription and get whatever credit is due.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 11:02pm
Thanks for the update.
Bob
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:04am
I had an IPC scheduled for this week, which reminded me that I needed to update my IFD 540 NAV/DATA subscription.

I tried using the Jepp download app (waste of time), then going to their web site (waste of time) so I started searching the internet and found www.mypilotstore.com

There I purchased for $299 the IFD 540 annual subscription for the USA. Nice! That seems less costly than previously. 

I didn’t realize it didn’t support the IFD 100 until I read this thread, but I just tried it and the database seemed to download fine.

One hiccup - the IFD 100 app IGNORES the Bluetooth keyboard I use with my iPad. Only 1 out of every handful of keystrokes makes it into login screen. So I disconnected the keyboard and used the iPad native keypad and it went in fine.

I’ve still got to try it all in the aircraft of course. A nice bonus feature would be if we could just download it to the iPad and have the iPad upload the database to the IFD 540.

Anyway, thanks to Avidyne for working to keep the NAV/DATA affordable.

My annual Garmin Pilot subscription + my annual Jepp/Avidyne subscription roughly equal what I used to pay to Howie Keefe’s Air Charts for VFR & IFR charts, but I get so much more.

:-)
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:05am
Ps. It took less than 24 hours for www.mypilotstore.com to contact Jepp and get my subscription updated and active. Jepp sent me an email saying I was ‘good to go’.

So that part worked very well. It seems as though Jepp is better at delivering than they are at ‘selling’.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:23am
The new bundles are an improvement... especially for dual IFD540's

Despite Jepp Phone lines being very overloaded, their call back option worked out well on multiple calls.
.  full USA Charts, Nav, Obstacles, Terrain - $799
.  full USA Nav only - $299

Like the jeep sales person said to me, "more for less".

p.s. Everything interfaces great with IFD100

Tom W.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 2:06pm
Unfortunately, not all the geographic options come up with www.mypilotstore.com.

For example, they have full USA and Americas, but not North America.

Rolfe
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:48pm
There are many faults with the Jepp website, but there is nothing wrong with the Jepp Jsum/JDM app itself. Once you have a subscription, it works well.

* Orest
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm
I renewed my Navdata for single 540 (I have a 550). In May 2019. I paid $404 for central / eastern US. 

I am about to make a trip west (las Vegas) and need to increase my coverage to full US. It appears full US on mypilotstore is $299. I read a few posts back that credit will be applied if you renew mid term. If that’s the case then can I increase my coverage to full US at no charge since I paid more last May. Not sure how to go about the change. 
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm
You can increase or decrease your Jepp coverage at any time, and they will credit/debit you the proportionate amount. There is no penalty for mid-term changes.

Best way is to call Jepp.

* Orest
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

I renewed my Navdata for single 540 (I have a 550). In May 2019. I paid $404 for central / eastern US. 

I am about to make a trip west (las Vegas) and need to increase my coverage to full US. It appears full US on mypilotstore is $299. I read a few posts back that credit will be applied if you renew mid term. If that’s the case then can I increase my coverage to full US at no charge since I paid more last May. Not sure how to go about the change. 

Call Jepp and ask for Bonnie Jurus - she is awesome.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 12:47pm
Made the call this am to Jepp and it was one of the easiest changes ever. The guy I spoke with simply took my account number and pulled up my plan. I said I was making a trip out west so would like to take advantage of the newer offering of entire US for $299. He said no problem. Did a little math a prorated me a credit for the unused portion of my current subscription and then charged me the difference. Since it had been a couple years I also added a single obstacle update. I know I get obstacles on foreflight but for $49 I really don't mind if some new towers show up on the IFD as well.

Painless. I know Jepp gets bad mouthed quite a bit and I'm sure some of the complaints are legit but I'm a happy customer.

And a big THANKS to Avidyne for negotiating this!
Brent

PA32-301

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 2:11pm
There appears to be no time of day you can call and actually get through to a live person without a lengthy hold. The good news is that their callback system works pretty well. Of course, that is only available after you are forced to listen to the endless voice tree options, including the one that says navdata subscriptions are available for order online, which they are not.

Thank you to Avidyne though for making the simplified packages available. That made the actual order simple once I got a callback.

Rolfe

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 2:58am
Possibly stupid question.

I have a single IFD540. I share my plane with 2 other pilots. I want all of us to be able to use navdata on our personal IFD100 instances. Can I do that with the a la carte navdata, or do I need one of the more expensive packages? (I know the real answer is probably "call Jepp" but I'm traveling overseas and don't want the hassle of trying to call them right now if I can avoid it).
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:18am
Ala carte nav data comes with support for just one IFD100.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:02am
Thanks, Steve. I was afraid that was going to be the answer.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:43am
Paul,  may be a goofy suggestion but given the cost of NavData plans it might be worthwhile to just buy an iPad dedicated to the plane that is shared. A nice iPad Pro 9.7 (that I personally find to be the perfect size) can be had for $350-$400.  Solves the issue you bring up and then makes each pilots primary iPad become the back-up running ForeFlight / plates / etc. 

I always have two iPads anyway. Yoke mount mini with ForeFlight for general map / info / plates. Then a panel mounted pro 9.7 that runs the IFD 100.
Brent

PA32-301
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 12:47pm
I use an older IPad mini that stays in the plane mounted on the the side of the panel and for the IFD100 and then use an IPad mini mounted on the yoke for my ForeFlight. Works out better that I thought it would.
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 9:29am
I kind of run it opposite, I have an Ipad mini yoke mounted that I run the IFD100 app, and Garmin Pilot on my Ipad pro, panel mounted in a Guardian Avionics Ipad mount on the right side of my panel. I interact with the IFD100 more, so like that at my fingertips, and that works great. But during an approach I'll switch the mini to FlyQ, with the approach plate overlaying the map. By that time my frequencies are set and approach is loaded and active.

I've kept Garmin Pilot (VFR version) around because it reads ABS-b traffic and weather directly from my GTX345, plus I really like the logbook in Garmin Pilot. But, now that I have everything "talking" correctly I'm getting ADS-b traffic and weather on my IFD440 & IFD100, and on FlyQ app for that matter, I may let the Garmin Pilot go. Although at $79/yr its maybe worth keeping just for the logbook.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

You can increase or decrease your Jepp coverage at any time, and they will credit/debit you the proportionate amount. There is no penalty for mid-term changes.

Best way is to call Jepp.

* Orest

For what its worth, I called to convert my single IFD Nav Data only plan from the old $491 plan to the new $299 plan (thanks for the savings!) and they would not pro-rate the rest of the year.  They only offered to give me the $299 rate starting at my renewal date.  They said it was because I wasn't actually changing my plan, I was only renewing it.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:45pm
interesting. So was your $491 plan for entire US just like the $299 plan?  Mine was a plan change since previously I had just the Eastern US. 

Maybe you could solve this issue by changing to ANY plan that you don’t currently have. Get your prorated reimbursement and then tomorrow change back. Sounds like a pain the arse loophole but idk?
Brent

PA32-301
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:01am
Jesus wept.

I'm up for renewal so I went to the URL Steve gave and picked the part number I want: single IFD, Americas obstacle + terrain + navdata. 

Then I went to the Jepp site. First it forced me to reset my password. Weird flex but OK.

After login, I found that my hangar had two aircraft. Same tail number, both showing "0 devices". OK, fine. I picked one, added an IFD540, and refreshed the page. Still 2 aircraft, still 0 devices. "I'll try again," I thought. So I did.

2 aircraft, one of which has *2* IFD540s.

Of course, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove a device or an aircraft, but hey, whatever. I'm just here to buy a database so I ignore that and move on. I choose the aircraft with 2 devices, select 1 of te 2 IFDs, and find that I can only purchase worldwide coverage.

Long story short, there is no way to purchase the actual SKUs that Steve listed in an earlier post for my aircraft through the website. That's what I get for believing this particular leopard had changed its spots. Back to the phone I go.

I tried to go in to the website and order directly but, on login, found two copies of the same aircraft (with no obvious way to delete either of them). I added one IFD540, and it didn’t show up, so I tried again and now there are two—with no obvious way to remove them.

Please fix up my hangar so that I have one PA-32-300, tail # N32706, with one Avidyne IFD540.

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 10:41am
I think only Jeppesen can fix the issues on the Jeppesen site. Other than using their data, Avidyne is not involved with what they do. I always call when I need their products. The Jeppesen site has been broken for a  long time.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

I think only Jeppesen can fix the issues on the Jeppesen site. Other than using their data, Avidyne is not involved with what they do.

Yeah, I realized after my post that a fugitive copy-and-paste had left in the sentence about fixing my hangar etc-- that was from an email to Jepp, not intended for Avi.
Alouicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alouicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 2:56pm
Call Jepp:

Jeppesen Contact Information

Sales and Customer Support

Toll free:  1-866-498-0213

Direct:     1-303-328-4030

Outside of North America:  +49 6102 5070

https://ww2.jeppesen.com/contact-us/

Technical Support

North America toll-free: 800-732-2800

United States direct: 303-328-4587

International: 49-6102-508270

Email: NAVSUPPORT@jeppesen.com

Online: support.jeppesen.com

Be happy! Your choice.
260SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:01pm
I am looking for a bit of advice.

Single IFD-540
ForeFlight on iPad Mini on yoke with Stratux In
ForeFlight on older iPad, along with IFD100 app, Stratux In
ForeFlight on iPhone as emergency backup, cellular data

Will upgrade ForeFlight subscription to show position on airport diagram and charts.

Will be flying IFR.

I fly mostly in the Midwest, with plans to fly south and west.

Do I want new terrain and obstacles?

What should I order?
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:15pm
Terrain hasn't been updated since 2015. Obstacles are generally taken care of by IFR altitudes, they are less valuable for that type of flying. They also don't change as much. 

I'd get a USA navdata subscription for the IFD ($299) and a Foreflight Pro Plus subscription for my iPad ($199). I wouldn't worry about a Jepp subscription for the iPad and would definitely not get charts for the IFD. I've had them on my IFD540 and much prefer to view them on my iPad. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic